15. Panic and Fear

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Look, Azriel. Isn't it pretty? See how it dances? Do you want to feel it?

Look, Azriel.

Look.

Azriel.

Azriel.

"Az." He blinked, Rhys' voice dragging him out of his thoughts. "Are you ready to go back?"

Azriel pressed his thumb against Truth-Teller's blade. Cassian appeared behind Rhys. He bore several bruises and a bloody gash marred his forehead. "I'm sorry, Cass," Azriel murmured. 

Cassian shrugged with a smirk. "You've done worse. I've dealt with worse. I can have Amren patch up my forehead, assuming she's in a good mood."

Rhys swatted dust off his leathers. Azriel lifted his head finally and looked at the mess around him. He'd taken down two mountains and most of the dead trees in the clearing were nothing but splinters.

Shadows crept over him, hiding him from view. Azriel continued to run his thumb over Truth-Teller. I haven't caused this much destruction since...He couldn't remember. He'd been angry before, but never as angry as last night. Erebus brought my half brothers to Ironcrest and promised power to my father, he thought. Why? He asked if they'd help him with his dilemma, which must mean us. But my father was talking about me specifically.

It's been a long time since we saw our little brother.

Look, Azriel. Isn't it pretty? See how it dances? Do you want to feel it?

Seren's flame wavered around his arm and he jumped. His thumb slipped and blood wet Truth-Teller's blade. Pain spiked through his palm. He stared at the fire, horror creeping over him. Azriel tried to push the feeling away. It's Seren's fire. It won't hurt me. It's Seren's...Seren. Mother above, he'd ignored her all night and now she was silent.

You mentioned he has a mate now. It would be wonderful to meet our new sister.

Erebus speaks very highly of her. Her scent is delicious.

The shadows unwound and Azriel leaped to his feet. Rhys and Cassian watched him, their concern evident. Rhys' gaze flickered to his hand. "Az, did you..."

"It was an accident," Azriel interrupted. He turned to Cassian. "You took Seren to the hut?"

"Yes. Feyre, Jorah, and Amren were with her."

"They were there when I left," Rhys added. "She was worried. She probably still is."

"Let's get back."

"You're not going to bring down the mountains around Ironcrest, are you?" Cassian chuckled.

Azriel didn't reply. Rhys took them each by the arm and winnowed away from the destroyed clearing. They arrived just outside of the hut. Azriel didn't wait for his brothers. He entered and walked straight past Amren and Feyre, even as they stood up.

Azriel closed the bedroom door behind him. Seren was asleep, but from her position and expression, he knew it wasn't a peaceful one. She blinked her eyes open seconds later, then sat up.

"Are you all right?" She asked, her eyes full of concern. Azriel nodded. "We saw the mountains come down. Are Rhys and Cassian all right too?"