11. The Shadowsinger's Mood

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

The next few days passed in a flurry of preparations. Seren was less than thrilled to learn that Amren would be accompanying them to Ironcrest and for once, Amren had agreed with her. Azriel's mood didn't help anything either.

Seren packed her spare set of Illyrian leathers and set the satchel aside. They'd leave for Ironcrest in the morning and begin adjusting to their new routine. She couldn't help but worry about what awaited them there.

Azriel entered the room and closed the door. He massaged his temples with a frustrated sigh. "What is it?" Seren asked.

"Amren."

"What is she saying now?"

Azriel shook his head, not bothering to answer. Seren closed her eyes and laid back on the bed, waiting for her headache to pass. "If Erebus picks up on the hostility between you two, he'll be quick to use it to his advantage," he said at last.

"Amren and I may not get along, but I don't think she'd do anything to help Erebus hurt me." Her thoughts drifted back to their argument in Adriata. Someone has to be prepared to cut you down when you turn on us.

"If she does, Rhys and Feyre will have to find themselves a new second."

Seren turned to look at him. "Don't say that. Don't threaten your family."

Azriel glanced up. "You are my family."

"So is she."

He nodded after a moment. "You're right. I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry."

"You were frustrated. It's all right."

Azriel sat on the bed beside her. "I know my mood has been shit lately."

Seren twisted so that her head rested in his lap. "Yes, it has been, but you've been stressed out."

"That's not about to change any time soon." He combed his fingers through her hair absentmindedly.

"No, you're right. Especially after we have a baby." Azriel knit his brows and met her gaze. "Not yet," she laughed. "We'll both know when I am."

Azriel smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "That day can't come soon enough." His smile faltered. "But if you start to suspect that you're pregnant while we're in Ironcrest, I'm going to bring you home." She opened her mouth to protest, but he continued. "It's dangerous for you to be in Ironcrest now, but it will be especially dangerous then. Pregnancies can only be hidden for so long and when your scent starts to change, there won't be a way to avoid them finding out."

"Feyre told me that Rhys put a shield over her when she was pregnant and it masked her scent and everything."

"He did and Feyre hated it. I don't think you'd like it any better."

Seren grinned. "You're probably right. All the same, it's an option, should we need it." She stood and sheathed Metanoia and Elysian.

"Where are you going?"

"To the old Burn Clearing. I haven't released my fire in a while and I'm starting to feel it."

"I'll come too." The shadows were already excitedly dancing across his shoulders at the prospect of her flames.

They stepped out onto the balcony and Seren hooked her arms around his neck. Azriel leaped into the air and they soared over Velaris. Stars glittered overhead, the spring constellations more vibrant than all of the others. Seren spotted Ramiel in the distance and the three stars above its summit.