17. To Protect Their Family

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    The days were passing with dreadful slowness. Azriel's nerves had frayed until they were nothing but taut strings. He'd learned that Osiris and Seker found Seren nearly every day when she left to train the females. The fact that he couldn't trail her to keep them away was increasingly frustrating. Erebus' attitude was frustrating as well. Surprisingly, he refused to tell Azriel anything, even when Rhys accompanied him in their interrogations.

    Azriel crossed his arms and stared down Erebus. "You can watch me all you want. I have nothing to say," Erebus said at last.

    "You have plenty to say," Azriel scoffed. "What are you planning? Why have you brought Osiris and Seker here? You know the trouble they'll cause."

    "I hear they've met your mate. They're quite taken with her. I'm half tempted to let them have their way with her someday."

    Azriel held back the shadows, even as they struggled to reach Erebus. "You'll never touch my mate again. You know what will happen if you do."

    "Seren's threats are meaningless. She doesn't have the guts to kill someone."

    "Maybe not, but I do."

    "If you kill me, this camp will declare war on you. Your father's forces will join them. Osiris and Seker will become Kallon's generals. In fact, they're already mine."

    "The ranks you give your warriors mean nothing in battle. They will still serve under Rhys, Cassian, and I."

    "Not if they aren't on your side," Erebus growled.

    "Those are treasonous words."

    "What will you do about it, Shadowsinger?"

    "Seren promised to melt the wings off your back, followed by your skin, and the rest of your body. I can do that with a blade and take far longer. I can keep you awake for every second I'm working."

    "Does your mate know how dark you truly are, Bastard?"

    "She knows the lengths I'll go to to protect my family."

    "You can't protect them. You can't protect them anymore than you can protect yourself. Your history attests to that. So does hers." Erebus flashed him a cruel smirk. "But don't worry. I'll still take her, scars and all. And if she screams your name, I'll give her a few more."

    Shadows erupted, wrapping around Erebus' throat. They lifted him off the ground. Azriel dug the tip of Truth-Teller's blade into his throat. "Why the hell did you bring my half brothers here?"

    "For this very purpose. To make you afraid," Erebus spat. "Because you should be. You should be afraid, Shadowsinger. You should be very afraid."

    Azriel snarled, pressing Truth-Teller down harder. A thin line of blood ran down Erebus' neck. He lowered his mental shields a bit. Rhys, if you don't want Erebus dead, you had better do something right now.

    Rhys winnowed into the hut instantly. "Stand down, Az." Rhys grabbed his arm and pulled him back. Erebus fell to the floor, rubbing his neck.

    "I'll leave your bitch in tears," Erebus swore. "And before her tears have stopped, I'll set your half brothers on her. When they're through, Kallon can have his turn."

    Azriel shook with rage. His siphons flashed and power crackled around him. Rhys let go. Azriel tackled Erebus to the ground. Truth-Teller dug into the thin membrane of Erebus' wing. Erebus screamed, fear flooding his gaze.