28. Uncertain Agendas

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Seren settled Nyx into his crib, then sat down nearby. Nuala and Cerridwen were quietly bustling around the room, picking up his toys and clothes. Once they'd finished, they left, closing the door behind them. The room fell silent.

    Seren rubbed her hands together nervously. She hadn't heard or felt anything from Azriel since they'd left the Court of Nightmares. Already, the sun was setting on another day. She didn't know if the battle in Windhaven had ended or not.

    Her shadow tightened around her arm. Seren allowed her flames to manifest. They cast a soft light around the darkening room. A window was open, letting in a warm summer breeze. It wouldn't be long before summer gave way to autumn.

    Despite herself, Seren did miss the colors and scents of the Autumn Court. She missed the tang of spices within the woods. She missed the cinnamon and honey scent of her father's house, the scent she'd been told she carried. She missed the trees, whose leaves mimicked her fire.

    It will be autumn soon and I'll see all of those colors here again, she thought. They might not be as vibrant as they are in the Autumn Court, but that's all right. Seren twisted and looked out the window. The stars glimmered overhead. She wouldn't trade the stars of the Night Court for all of the trees in the Autumn Court.

    From the corner of her eye, she saw a flash of dim light near the gates of the house. Seren pushed herself to her feet. She crept out of the room and let the door close gently.

    When she reached the staircase, everyone had already filtered inside. Amren went straight to her room. Mor led Emerie and Gwyn towards her own. Cassian, Nesta, Elain, and Lucien vanished and Seren heard more doors click shut.

    "Is Nyx asleep?" Feyre asked, mounting the stairs with Rhys and Azriel.

    "Yes, and he behaved well all day."

    Feyre gave her a weary smile before Rhys ushered her to their room. Seren looked back at Azriel and bit her lip. A vacant look filled his eyes, one that she'd seen too many times before. She followed him into their room.

    Azriel set Truth-Teller on the stand next to their bed. The blade was clean, unlike him. He entered the bathroom and she heard the sound of running water. Seren entered and set to work unbuckling straps on his leathers.

    "What happened?" She asked.

    "Jorah killed Kallon and they retreated."

    Seren tried to ignore the blood that still coated his leathers as she helped him out of them. Azriel slipped into the tub and covered his face with his hands. "Were there...many casualties?"

    "Not very many. Ironcrest suffered more than we did."

    "What could they have hoped to accomplish? They were outnumbered. Surely Beron would have wanted their full strength?"

    "I don't know," Azriel murmured. "Rhys, Cassian, and I have to go back tomorrow. Jorah said there was something she needed to share with us, and I have to see if Erebus pulled his warriors out of Ironcrest."

    "Did you face Osiris and Seker?"

    "No. They were doing their best to stay out of my sight, I think."

    "And Erebus?"

    "He was there, but he didn't fight."

    Seren rubbed the tense muscles in Azriel's back and around his wings. She was careful not to jar them, though. Shadows floated around him, not as lively as usual. Even the ones in her hair and on her arms were unusually calm.