40. Casulaties of War

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Azriel's back, shoulders, and wings ached from hours of flying, but he managed to stay in the air. His sword was an instrument of death as he took down Wyvern and traitorous Illyrians. There had been no sign of his half brothers or father yet.

Drakon whirled into view beside him. The Seraphim held back an Illyrian while Azriel ripped his blade through a Wyvern's wing. "The sun is setting," Drakon called. "Will he call them back or will we fight until we die of exhaustion?"

Azriel couldn't answer. Two Illyrians and another Wyvern bore down on him. His siphons crackled with power as he prepared to attack. Just as they reached him, Azriel sent a blast of magic searing through them. The Illyrians screamed, falling from the sky. The Wyvern's shriek was that of nightmares as Azriel continued to pummel it with magic. With a final burst of power, the creature erupted into a spray of blood and limbs.

"Nicely done, Little Brother," Osiris cooed. He flew a short distance from Azriel. "That's a neat little trick to have."

Drakon moved, but Azriel caught him by the shoulder. "He's mine." Drakon retreated to aid an overwhelmed Peregryn.

"I'm flattered you can spare time for me."

"Battles are no place for talking, Osiris. I'd think your time in Ironcrest would have taught you that."

Osiris inclined his head. "You never were one for talking." His lips curled into a cruel grin. "But oh how often you screamed."

Azriel snarled and lunged at Osiris. Their blades locked in a spray of sparks. Azriel slipped Truth-Teller into his other hand, giving himself a slight advantage. Osiris managed to keep up with his blows.

Azriel doubled back as a flash of amber magic filled his vision. The blow missed and Osiris attacked again. Azriel rammed an elbow into his half brother's nose. Osiris faltered briefly, but recovered himself.

"I can still smell your mate all over you," he chuckled. "Your child too, for that matter. Tell me, is my whore ready to be thoroughly fucked? I thought I'd be somewhat decent and let the child be born before..."

Azriel roared and slammed his shoulder into Osiris' chest. Caught off guard, Osiris plummeted. Azriel dove after him, pushing him to the ground. Osiris flapped his wings but Azriel caught one. He wrenched the thin membrane backwards until it ripped. Osiris howled in pain. Azriel gave him one last shove. Osiris hit the ground with a dull thud.

Azriel landed before him, the Killing Calm already settled into place. The shadows whispered terrible things in his ears, tempting him with his half brother's prolonged suffering. Osiris scrambled backwards, grasping at his discarded sword.

"I told you I would kill you," Azriel growled.

"Maybe someday, but not today." Osiris lifted his gaze with a smile. "Look, Azriel. Isn't it pretty?" He stiffened. "See how it dances?" Azriel followed Osiris' gaze to the skies. "Do you want to feel it?"

He screamed as a wave of unmistakable power incinerated a portion of the winged Fae that were fighting overhead. Koschei had wielded the Cauldron. Ashes fell from the sky. Azriel screamed again and took off.

"Cassian!" He hollered. "Drakon!"

"Cassian!" Came a shrill scream from below. He looked down and saw Nesta running towards a familiar body.

"No," Azriel whispered. He dove once more. Cassian took half a step towards Nesta and collapsed, smoking holes torn through his wings.

"Cassian!" Nesta cried again. Feyre and Elain were at her side. Rhys, Jorah, and Devlon weren't far behind. Azriel spotted Mor, Lucien, Gwyn, and Emerie holding off the oncoming Vanth. "Cassian!" Nesta fell to her knees at his side.