29. Small Moments

Days blurred into weeks and they heard very little from the group who'd gone to the Spring Court. Seren tried not to worry about them too much, but concern always sat in the back of her mind. It was often accompanied by that odd feeling she'd carried since returning from the Mortal Lands.

    Recalling the Mortal Lands only added to her concern. Jurian was supposed to meet with Rhys, but for some reason, could never find the time. They rarely heard from him, and when they did, he never had any new progress to report.

    Seren eyed the blank canvas in front of her. Her time as of late had been filled with painting, reading, babysitting, and trying to fix up another nursery. Feyre had given her jurisdiction over a small room right beside her and Azriel's. She had a few plans for the room, but was waiting for Elain and Mor's return so that they could help.

    Seren dipped her brush into a blot of silver and began to paint. She knit her brows as the image took shape, depicting four females. One female wore a crown. Another, a mask. The third carried a harp. The fourth wore an amulet. The women were just silhouettes, blurs of shadow.

    Almost as though she were being guided, Seren began to paint over the figures. She painted three new females over the ones with the crown, mask, and harp. The original fourth woman was left untouched. Seren touched up the artifacts, so that the new women held them.

    Seren leaned back in her chair, tapping her chin with the edge of her paintbrush. The amulet resembled the one she'd painted before, in Uncommon Beauty. With a shudder, Seren remembered Elain's whispered words.

    There is an amulet. There is life. There is light. Now, there is darkness and anguish. I hear screams. I hear cries. I see a broken body.

    I know that those three artifacts make up the Dread Trove, Seren thought. And clearly this amulet is important. She examined the females, but could find no identifying features on them. Or maybe I've just been thinking too much lately. Seren cleaned up her workplace and took the painting after it had dried.

    She carried it up to her room, trying to think of a title for it. Seren hung the painting beside Uncommon Beauty. "Dreadful Unknown," she said at last, still eyeing the new painting. Someone knocked on the door. "Come in."

    Feyre poked her head into the room. "Amren, Nesta, Gwyn, and I are going out for dinner, if you want to come."

    "Sure. Just give me a moment." She gestured to her paint splattered clothes with a laugh. Seren ducked into the closet and emerged minutes later, dressed in clean clothes.

    She followed Feyre down the stairs and outside, where the others were already waiting. Feyre took Seren and Nesta by the arms. Gwyn and Amren hung onto them as well as Feyre winnowed them deeper into Velaris.

    They arrived in front of a quaint little restaurant. It almost looked like a cottage, with its carved white stone walls, green copper roof, and trailing vines of ivy. Nesta led the way into the restaurant and a waitress seated them.

    "I've never been here before," Seren said.

    "Really? It's my favorite restaurant in Velaris," Gwyn explained. "I came here with Mor and Emerie once and I've been a regular customer ever since."

    They ordered their drinks and the waitress hurried off. By the time she returned, they were all ready to order. Their food sat before them soon enough. "What is that?" Amren asked, pointing at Seren's drink.

    "Raspberry lemonade."

    "Her favorite," Feyre laughed.

    "Want to try some?" Seren offered.