25. Altering Reality

The artwork above is not mine.

(And yes, I know it's Dagdan and Brannagh but I thought it also worked well as an example of the painting.)

•༻☾☽༺•

Seren stood before the strange painting once more. She had pulled the black cloth off it entirely. The more she studied the people portrayed, the more she felt like she should recognize them. The twins bore resemblance to the dread lord. She wondered if they weren't all siblings.

"Beautiful, aren't we?" The dread lord's voice came from behind her.

"Who are they?"

"My little brother and sister."

"What happened to them?"

"They died," he said simply.

"I'm sorry." Seren glanced at him, judging his expression. She cast her flaming hand towards his mind. She felt no sorrow. In fact, she felt nothing at all. His mind was strongly shielded. Her plan was not going to work.

"It was only a few years ago. They were killed during the war with Hybern. They chose the wrong side and suffered the consequences of that choice," the dread lord said. "We had been out of contact for many years. I have never mourned them. I have never loved them."

"What were their names?"

The dread lord shrugged. "I've no idea. I can't even recall my own name on a regular basis."

Seren turned back to the painting. Again, she couldn't help but feel like she should know these people. Her mind was still foggy. Why were they so familiar? Where had she seen a painting like this before? Seren leaned closer, an odd detail leaping out at her.

"You have pointed ears," she said.

The dread lord stiffened. "You're mistaken."

"No," Seren shook her head. She pointed to the ears in the painting. "Look. They're pointed." She faced the dread lord, peering through his white locks. To her surprise, his ears were rounded.

"You're mistaken," he said again, a hint of frustration in his voice.

Seren looked at the painting. The ears were rounded. She blinked, looking closer. But how...I could've sworn they were pointed.

She jerked her head around. The dread lord was standing right behind her. He seemed taller than before. His features were sharper. His presence was ancient, stifling. Shadows wound tightly around her arms and neck, poised to protect.

"Who are you?" Seren demanded. "And who are they? What's wrong with this place?"

"I know you, Seren Marzena." His voice was cold like death. "I know your companions. I know your family. I know your mate. I know your child."

Immediately, she attempted to winnow. Wind roared in her ears, then quieted once more. The dread lord gave her a wicked grin. Seren lifted two flaming hands. "Who are you?" She growled.

"I know you spoke with Vassa. I know she warned you away. I know everything that happens in this house. I know everything that happens beyond it. I know you. I know what you are. Daemati." His form flickered before her, becoming whispy, but still faintly distinct. "I know why they brought you. I know why your enemies want you."

"Who are you?" Each word was hard as she spoke it.

"Death," an oily voice whispered. Seren threw flames around herself as the dread lord vanished and a creature of shadows descended upon her.