42. Shared Agony

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Azriel's thoughts were jumbled with panic. They raced through the Spring Court lands, constantly on the lookout for Beron, Tamlin, and Seren. She yanked on the Bond again and an image accompanied it.

    "Rosehall!" Azriel shouted. "They're near Rosehall!"

    Eris switched directions at once, heading for the ruins. Unearthly screams filled the air, the closer they got. Tamlin was surrounded by the undead. Several wounds covered his thick furry hide. Eris' loyalists jumped into the fray, cutting down the undead. Tamlin continued to strike at them.

    "I don't see my father," Eris noted.

    "Or Seren." Azriel pulled on the Bond. Where are you?

    We sense great pain and distress in the woods beyond, the shadows said. We are there.

    "This way." Azriel jumped into the air and soared towards the forest. Eris sprinted after him. Gradually, he could make out the clashing of steel. The scent of blood filled the air.

    He flew over a clearing and saw Beron standing over Seren. Elysian lay in the grass nearby. Seren was covered in sweat and her chest heaved with uneven breaths. It was her clothes that were stained with blood, but he couldn't see a mark on her.

    Azriel dove just as Beron looked up. He tackled the High Lord away from his mate. Shadows pinned Beron down. Beron's hand grew white hot and he lunged at Azriel's face. Azriel rolled backwards just as Eris reached the clearing. He took Azriel's place and held Beron off.

    Azriel ran to Seren as she screamed. "Where are you hurt? What were you thinking?" He demanded.

    "The baby," she gasped. "The baby is coming and something's wrong."

    "Eris!" Azriel hollered. Eris kicked Beron away. The High Lord's head crunched against a tree and he collapsed. Eris ran to them. Seren's face was pale and twisted in pain. "I have to get her out of here. The baby is coming."

    Eris swallowed, watching Seren. She gritted her teeth, but couldn't stifle her cry. "Go. It will be your favor to me."

    Azriel scooped Seren up. She choked on another scream and swallowed hard. "Eris," she called as he turned away. He faced her and she held out Elysian. "Please. He killed my mother." Azriel stiffened at the revelation.

    Eris took the sword and gently smoothed some hair from her damp forehead. He kissed her temple. "He will die today, and it will be your blade that claims his life." Eris drew back and shadows pulled them from the woods.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Eris drew in steady breaths, eyeing his father's body. Beron groaned and picked himself up. "Where is the little bitch?" He snarled.

    "Gone. You killed her mother?"

    "I did."

    "Why? Why would you kill Aralynn Marzena?" Eris circled Beron.

    "Because she was a threat. She was carrying my child."

    "My mother bore seven sons, yet you never killed her."

    "She never tried to hide you from me."

    Eris gripped Elysian tightly. "She hid one of us right beneath your nose."