16. A Source of Strength

When Azriel woke the next morning, his panic had shifted into calm rage. He shoved his fears aside and crawled out of bed, careful not to disturb Seren. She'd been awake all night and had only fallen asleep a few hours ago.

Azriel pulled on his leathers, now free of dust. Truth-Teller was a comforting weight against his thigh. He situated the siphons on his hands, then paused. He stared at his scars, a mixture of fear and hatred coursing through him.

They don't mar you. They don't taint you, Seren said. He looked over his shoulder and saw her sitting up. She held up her own hands. Azriel crossed the room and splayed his fingers against hers. Seren watched him silently.

Azriel swallowed, eyeing their hands. His was much bigger than hers, and yet, they matched. From their scars to the water droplet tattoo. They don't taint me, Azriel echoed. Just like yours do not taint you. He brushed his thumb over the scar on her cheek.

Seren smiled, then swung her legs off the bed and brought her head down between her knees. She drew in several deep breaths. "I thought babies liked food," she rasped. "So why is it that ours wants to get rid of everything I eat?"

Azriel beamed and rubbed her back soothingly. "I hear it's that way for a lot of mothers." His gaze dipped to her stomach. "Do you really think it's a baby?"

Seren cast him a dumbfounded look. "What else could it be? It might not be professionally confirmed yet, but I think..." She groaned and lowered her head again. "I'm so tired of being nauseous."

He wasn't sure what to say, so he remained quiet. A baby, he thought. We aren't trying to have a baby anymore. We are having one. Azriel closed his eyes, the thought enticing more joy and excitement than he would have thought possible. His joy dimmed under a dark thought. My mate is pregnant and my half brothers are here.

If he knew Osiris and Seker...if he knew Erebus, then he knew they would be quick to act on that information as soon as they found out. And we started trying, he counted mentally, four, maybe five, months ago? Depending on when she became pregnant, she must be at least three months along. Her scent will change soon.

"Azriel," Seren called, drawing him out of his thoughts. "Feyre said she and Rhys are staying here for another week, if not more. Feyre might leave sooner for Nyx, but I don't know."

"I can't convince you to stay in the hut until they leave?" He tried.

Seren smiled, but shook her head. "The females know and trust me. As long as I'm able, I'm going to try to help them."

Azriel sighed. "Then we'll just have to be careful. Try to stay out of Erebus' path. Kallon's and my half brothers' too."

"I will." He kissed her forehead and stood. "Where are you going?"

"To talk to Erebus. I want to know why he brought Osiris and Seker here." Azriel let a cold mask slide over his features.

Seren touched the shadow on her arm and it wrapped around her finger. "So you're the Spymaster today."

"I'm the Spymaster every day. It's who I have to be." He returned to her and knelt down. "But that's not all that I am."

"No, it's not," Seren agreed. "You're Rhys and Cassian's brother."

"Feyre, Amren, Mor, Nesta, and Elain's as well," he added with a small laugh.

"And Lucien's, I suppose."

"I'm Nyx's uncle. I am my mother's son."

Seren rested her forehead against his. "You are my mate."