37. No Goodbyes

Seren paced around the room restlessly. She was dying for a breath of fresh air, but snow blew beyond the walls of the house. Going out wouldn't be an option for a day or two. Elain lounged on a chair near the fireplace.

    "These snow storms make me think of when Feyre, Nesta, and I lived in the Mortal Lands," she said. "Our cottage was always so cold. We could never afford coal and when the snow fell, tree branches were too wet to use as kindling. Nesta and I would spend all day huddled in the bed together. Feyre would still go hunting, but she usually came back empty handed."

    Seren glanced at her. Elain shivered, a vacant look in her eyes. "That must have been hard."

    Elain nodded. "It was. It was hard for all of us, but harder still for Feyre. If there was a way I could repay her for everything she did for us, everything she sacrificed, I would do it. No matter what it was. Nesta and I didn't deserve her. We should have taken care of her, not the other way around."

    "Don't feel guilty about the past. Yes, you could have done things differently, but if you hadn't, you might not even be here now. Feyre has forgiven you. I think all she wants now is to have her family around her, safe and together."

    Elain looked up with a small smile. Seren returned it and resumed pacing. "You should sit down."

    "I can't. I feel like I'm going to jump out of my own skin if I can't do something active," Seren sighed. The baby kicked and she winced, drawing in a sharp breath. "Madja thinks the baby will come soon. Stars, I hope she's right."

    Elain giggled. Before she could reply, though, the door flew open. Rhys straightened, combing his fingers through his hair. "Elain, you'd better come hear this." Elain narrowed her eyes and followed him.

    Seren trailed behind them. They reached the main entryway, where Drakon was waiting. Snow clung to his hair and six wings. The others had already gathered around him. Seren lit a small flame and waved it towards Drakon. He gave her an appreciative nod as the flame melted the snow from his body and sent warmth radiating over him.

    "Miryam had an idea a few days ago," he began. "No one could find Koschei anywhere in Prythian, so what if his hideout is somewhere else?"

    "Where else could he be?" Gwyn asked. She hovered behind Mor and Emerie.

    "We sent spies to the lands beyond Prythian. One of them reported back this morning. Koschei is in Hybern. All four Mortal Queens are with him, along with several Illyrians. There was no sign of Beron."

    "The Trove and Cauldron?" Feyre asked.

    "The spy never saw the Cauldron, but he said the Queens had the Dread Trove."

    "Were they Made?" It was Amren who spoke now.

    Drakon shook his head. "No, they're still human."

    "Azriel," Rhys called. Seren looked up to where Azriel stood on the stairs. "Send messengers to each of the High Lords and deliver the news. We're going to Hybern."

    "One more thing," Drakon said. "Jurian asked about Hybern's people." The human general had been sent to Cretea to aid Drakon and Miryam after he'd recovered from nearly drowning, Seren recalled. "The spy reported that they are aiding Koschei. Jurian thinks they're being forced to somehow. They wouldn't agree to fight with Beron or the Illyrians otherwise. I believe the Crown is being used to manipulate them."

    "Vassa as well," Lucien added. "She'd never betray us. Was she in her firebird form?"

    "No. She was human."