5. A War Lord's Decision

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    The breakfast table was unusually empty the next morning. Only Seren, Nesta, Feyre, and Amren were there. Lucien and Elain had already left for the Mortal Lands to once again speak with Vassa's master. Mor and Rhys were paying a visit to the Court of Nightmares. Azriel and Cassian were already in Ironcrest, at Rhys' behest.

    "Where were you last night?" Nesta asked, gesturing towards Amren with her fork.

    Amren picked at her scrambled eggs with disinterest. "I went to check on the Dread Trove." Nesta and Feyre glanced at each other. Seren said nothing. Shadows drifted through her hair, tickling her neck. "Don't worry. It's secure and no one followed me."

    "Rhys has been talking about letting Mor know its location," Feyre said.

    "Why? Azriel and I know. Isn't that enough?"

    "You're three people," Nesta replied. "One of which is a Spymaster and the other of which is a High Lord. Both make for prime political targets. If something were to happen to Az and Rhys, you would be the only one who knows where the Dread Trove is."

    "And?" Amren raised an eyebrow. Her silver eyes flashed with curiosity and a hint of annoyance.

    "And you aren't who you once were. You won't be able to defend the Dread Trove by yourself if somewhere were to happen to Rhys and Azriel," Feyre explained.

    "I'm also not the one who is gifted with Truth."

    "Just because Mor is gifted with Truth doesn't mean she'll freely give away our secrets," Seren said. Nesta and Feyre nodded their agreement.

    Amren sighed and smoothed dark hair out of her face. "No, but what if she tells someone who will?" Her cool gaze landed on Seren.

    She tensed and her shadow tightened around her arm. More shadows coiled atop her shoulders. Somewhere in the house, Nyx began to cry. Feyre cleared her throat and stood. "I'll be back." She left the dining room quickly.

    Amren went back to poking her food. "I'm going to Adriata today to see Varian. He's been trying to locate the Mortal Queens and thinks he's learned something. Would you like to come along, Nesta?"

    "Sure." Nesta glanced at Seren from the corner of her eye. "Maybe Ser should come too."

    Seren shook her head immediately. "I have to go to Ironcrest." And, truthfully, she wanted to speak with Feyre about the conversation she'd had with Azriel last night.

    "Cassian and Jorah can manage without you for one day." Seren felt Nesta's mental shields lower. She formed a flaming hand in her mind and found Nesta's presence. Besides, you and Amren have to learn to get along, Nesta continued. Especially with everything going on at the moment.

    I don't think Amren shares that sentiment.

    Amren is just being difficult. She'll warm up to you.

    Everyone has been telling me that since I returned, Seren sighed. But all right. She let her flaming hand fade and Nesta restored her mental shields. A moment later, Feyre returned, balancing Nyx on her hip.

    She took in their expressions and sat down hesitantly. "Did I miss something?"

    "Seren is coming to Adriata with Amren and I," Nesta said. Amren shot her a glare, but Nesta ignored it.