44. Sacrifice

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Koschei's form changed once more. He loomed over them, a monster of onyx flames. "You cannot hope to win," he cackled. "Even with the Dread Trove in your possession, you are no match for me."

"What's the plan, Rhys?" Cassian hissed between his teeth.

"Feyre, Nesta, and Elain, circle behind him. We'll drive him towards you and you have to kill him," Rhys whispered.

The three sisters drifted back into the crowd. When they were safely hidden from Koschei's sight, they winnowed. Rhys gave a sharp nod and the group attacked. Lucien and Eris hurled balls of fire into Koschei's writhing body. Amren and Mor attacked with magic of their own. Gwyn, Jorah, and Emerie sliced their swords through the onyx flames.

Koschei screamed with rage and plummeted into the ground. His fiery mass disappeared and the ground began to quake. Azriel jumped into the air as massive cracks split the earth. Emerie screamed, tumbling into one of the canyons. Mor snatched her by the wrist. Gwyn helped pull her to safety.

The ground shook again and the cracks were forced together. Cassian and Rhys were knocked off their feet. In a flash, Koschei was there. Rhys threw a shield over the two of them. Azriel flew towards Koschei and raked his sword through the dark lord's form.

Koschei rounded and smacked him out of the sky. Azriel's sword flew from his grasp and he hit the dirt with a sickening crunch. He rolled, pain stabbing through his wings. Azriel forced himself to his feet and looked them over. He could see no tears or scratches. The injury was internal. He tried to lift his wings, then stopped when he felt a spasm of pain.

He looked up in time to see Koschei bearing down on Rhys and Cassian once more. Eris was running towards them. Koschei raised his hand, talons growing from his flaming fingers. He buried the talons in Rhys' shield, shattering it in a single blow. Rhys shoved Cassian out of the way as Koschei descended.

Koschei slammed into Rhys, sending him flying across the terrain. Rhys crashed into the side of a mesa. Rocks crumbled around him. He hit the ground and did not rise. Eris had reached Koschei. He bellowed with rage, jumping at the dark lord. His hands were lit with white hot flames. He grabbed onto Koschei.

Koschei shook Eris off as though he were nothing more than a flea. Another bolt of magic sent Eris to the ground beside Rhys. "Push him back!" Azriel hollered.

Mor, Emerie, Gwyn, and Amren rushed to his side. They began to buffet Koschei with magic and steel. Cassian, Jorah, and Lucien rushed to his other side. Koschei took a few paces back. Eris and Rhys still hadn't risen. They pushed Koschei past Bryaxis' body. The Cauldron was just beyond them.

Feyre, Nesta, and Elain winnowed into view. They lifted their weapons, ready to deal the killing blow. Feyre's eyes flickered towards Rhys and she cried out in shock. Koschei whirled, raising his talons. A dark oily substance now dripped from them.

Without a second thought, Azriel leaped through shadows. He appeared in front of Feyre and knocked her aside. Koschei's talons sliced through his back. Azriel screamed in pain and horror. His own blood dripped from Koschei's talons.

With a roar, Elain lunged at Koschei. She swiped at him with Nesta's dagger. He retracted his talons and Azriel collapsed, gasping for breath. Feyre and Nesta rushed at Koschei. Elain plucked a chord on the Harp. Koschei screamed as he was dragged back into his High Fae form.

Feyre drove the Great Sword through his stomach. Nesta buried Ataraxia in his chest, all the way up to the hilt. Elain moved again, and her dagger slit his throat. Blood gushed from Koschei's body and he convulsed.