19. A Lesson Learned

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Early the next morning, Seren gathered up the last of her spare leathers and slung a satchel over her shoulders. Azriel held her sword belt. Elysian and Metanoia already hung from it. He knelt and buckled the belt around her hips, then leaned his head against her stomach.

Shadows drifted around his neck and wound up towards his ears. So small. So precious, they whispered. Lady of Ashes. The Shadow's Flame. The Ember's Mother.

Seren threaded her fingers through his hair with a smile. "You'll tell me what Madja says?" Azriel asked.

"Of course. Take care of Jorah and be careful."

"I will." Azriel stood and kissed her before they joined the others in the main room.

"Ready?" Feyre asked, holding out a hand to Seren. Seren nodded and took it. They left the hut and Rhys, Cassian, Azriel, and Amren trailed after them.

Before Feyre and Seren could winnow away, wings beat overhead. Osiris and Seker landed. Instantly, Azriel and Rhys ducked in front of their mates. Seren touched her hand to Azriel's back and pulled on the Bond.

"Leaving without a goodbye?" Osiris called. "I'm offended."

"Goodbye and good riddance," Seren spat.

"Erebus would like to see you before you go," Seker said. "Come along. We shouldn't keep him waiting."

"She isn't going anywhere with you," Azriel hissed. He heard Cassian and Amren inch closer behind him. Azriel turned, cupping Seren's face in his hands. "Go home," he murmured.

Osiris laughed behind him. "How sweet but I think Erebus would appreciate you keeping your hands off his property."

Azriel's jaw clenched. Seren covered one of his hands with her own. "I am no one's property," Seren answered. "If you'll excuse us." She took Feyre's outstretched hand.

Osiris and Seker lunged. Azriel caught Osiris' blow and wrenched his arm backwards. He glanced towards Rhys. His brother was handling Seker with ease. Cassian and Amren lingered close at hand. Azriel landed a solid kick to his half brother's chest. Osiris flew backwards, his wings folding beneath him. He yelped in pain and picked himself up, but Seren and Feyre were already gone.

Osiris sniffed the air curiously. His golden gaze became intrigued. He stepped closer to Azriel and inhaled again. "Something about your mate smells different, Little Brother." His voice fell flat. "Since she's unavailable, you'll have to meet with Erebus instead."

Azriel lowered his mental shields, feeling Rhys hovering just beyond them. I don't like this, Az.

Neither do I. We should start moving the people to Windhaven quickly.

Someone needs to come with you.

I can handle myself. Rhys sighed, but withdrew his presence. Azriel restored his mental shields and crossed his arms. "Let's go see what he wants."

Osiris and Seker grinned. They fell in step beside him as he took off walking through the camp. Is everything all right? What happened? Seren called over the Bond.

We're fine. They stopped attacking as soon as you were gone.

What does Erebus want?

I don't know, but I'm about to find out. He tuned her out as they reached Erebus' hut.

Erebus and Kallon were waiting inside. "I asked for Seren," Erebus growled.