Thirty-One

"Wait that's not how you do it," Joy laughed as she showed her dad how to make the sandcastle she was building correctly.

"But I liked mine," he laughed.

Meghan smiled at the two of them and looked over at James who kept his eye on his baby girl.

"Can you believe that you're gonna have to deal with another girl," she chuckled as she spoke to only where he could hear.

James and Meghan found out last week that they were having a girl. James secretly was hoping for another boy, but just wanted a healthy baby at the end of the day.

"Yeah," James sighed followed by a small chuckle. "At least I won't be doing it by myself!"

Meghan's face fell as she nodded showing her understanding.

"Do you ever think about her?" She wondered.

"Every blue moon," he stated.

"What was y'all relationship like?" Meghan ask as she sunk her toes in the sand.

James sighed before he spoke. "We were engaged. She cheated and I broke it off. Took my daughter with me and that's when things started to fall on hard times for us. But then I found Mona," he smiled a little as memories of the old times came flooding back. He wished that she was in Mexico with them and not Meghan.

"You been through so much.. I admire you and your perseverance," Meghan remarked.

James nodded at the compliment and looked out at the water. It was definitely peaceful being out here after everything that's happened recently in his life. He needed a vacation and good company that's the only reason he allowed Meghan to come along. He was hoping she'd provide that and not a headache.

Meghan could tell he was in deep thought and decided to get behind him and started massaging his shoulders. James let out a breath of relief and closed his eyes. He wasn't even going to question her reasoning. Instead, he was grateful.

"You're so tense," she stated. "Just relax.... just let God work it out. Whether it's me, Mona, and everything. Give it to him!"

Although she was right, James didn't really want to here that at the moment, but he appreciated her attempt to comfort him.

"You're such a good person James and I'm blessed to have you. You have an amazing heart," she spoke again.

"Meghan can I ask you something?" James remarked.

"Yes?" She continued.

"Is the baby truly mine before I get all the way invested?" He wondered.

Her heart sank as she immediately stopped and looked at him.

"Of course it is. You're the only person I've been with," she spoke truthfully.

James searched her face and then in her eyes and was just going to accept her answer. He didn't have a reason to not trust her, but the last time he was invested into a child with someone he wasn't in a relationship the child ended up being his friends.

"This is not the situation with Capri. If you want to take a DNA test when she gets here then do that," Meghan said on the brink of tears.