Thirty-Two

"Can I get some queso sauce?" James asked the server.

"Si," the server nodded.

James looked over at Joy who sat across from him and smiled.

"You know you're a little woman now?" He chuckled.

"I guess," she shrugged.

"You into boys?" He wondered asked his eyes stayed on his daughter.

"Dad!" Joy looked up at him embarrassed by the question.

"What?" He laughed.

"No...but my friends are," Joy stated.

"Hmm... your friends having sex yet?"James remarked

"Some of them are," Joy spoke truthfully.

James nodded as he sipped on his margarita.

"I'm happy you're being honest with me. I want you to know that you can always talk to me no matter what the situation is about. You know that?"

Joy nodded. "Yup!"

"But now that you're a little grown woman now... you can get pregnant if you have sex," James blurted.

"Eww," Joy screwed her face.

"I'm being serious baby. Please don't feel pressured to fit in and do what your friends are doing. Your body is a temple you understand? You treat yourself with respect by waiting until you're old enough to have sex with a special guy.... hopefully your husband. But, don't ever let a guy or anyone for the matter pressure you into doing that. If he loves and cares about you he will respect you and wait. You hear me?" He lectured.

"What if girls at school like me more than boys?" Joy asked.

James eyebrow raised as he stuffed food in his mouth to keep from cursing.

"You don't have to like them back," he shrugged.

"But what if I do?" Joy played with her hands.

James studied his daughter and knew she'd have thousands of questions the older she got. She was in middle school now and she was about to reach the age where she was forming her own identity. He knew that she would be trying to find her way during this time. It was crucial he be there for here in every way possible.

"Then that's okay too baby.... just know that daddy loves you! You will get to know what you like and don't throughout life. Enjoy your younger years while you can and just have fun. Don't focus on liking anything and focus on your school work. Those things will come in due time," he remarked.

Joy smiled softly and nodded. James smiled softly and laughed at his baby girl. She was growing up before his eyes and a part of that made him happy and scared at the same time.

Joy watched as the food came out and started dancing in her seat.

"You happy, happy," James joked as he laughed.

"YesssssssI am. I've been dying to have some bomb food. This is lit," Joy squealed.

James shook his head and watched as Joy took a picture of her food. He assumed she was going to put it on her social media.