Twenty-Four

Sweat dropped from Shay's forehead rapidly as she continued digging up dirt in the woods about two hours away from her home. Beside her on the ground laid one year old Avery--lifeless in a garage bag. She couldn't believe how quickly her life had turned around in a matter of the last five hours. All she wanted as the money that Hunter offered and now she was burying his son.

"God please forgive me," she cried softly.

"Hey"

James looked down at Mona as she slept. He softly grabbed her hand and planted kisses on it softly. It took a bit of a hassle to get in the room, but he was finally able to once the visiting hours started.

"I love you so much. I'm sorry...I'm so sorry baby," James pleaded as he began to get choked on his words.

The emotions he was experiencing in that moment caused him to break. He couldn't take seeing her in the hospital bed practically appearing deceased although she was alive. He couldn't take losing her not after all of the losses he experienced over the past year.

"Please speak to me... tell me you love me," James cried.

He found himself sobbing after moments of talking aloud to himself. James rested his forehead on her arm softly as he continued crying.

"We're in this together... I'm not leaving you," he whispered.

James spent the next few hours crying and not crying. It was an ongoing cycle that he couldn't help. He just wanted Mona to be better.

He looked over at her sleeping peacefully and decided to take that time to walk out and check on Joy.

"Hello?" Meghan answered.

"Hey.. I was just calling to check on y'all," he remarked.

"We're doing fine but I actually need to run some errands. When will you be back?" Meghan wondered.

"Uhhh..." James scratched his head followed by a sigh. "Do you think you can bring her to me at the hospital? Mona's been sleeping and I just want to see her open her eyes...I kinda don't want to leave."

Meghan sighed a bit. "Alright"

Her nonchalant attitude sort of rubbed him the wrong way, but now wasn't the time to address it because after all he did ask her at the last minute to watch Joy while she was at work.

"Thank you so much... did she eat already?"

"I'll stop by McDonald's.."

"Okay thank you so much Meghan I really really appreciate this," James expressed.

"No problem," Meghan spoke then ended the call.

James stated at his phone and sighed. He slowly walked back inside of Mona's room hoping she was awake when he returned.

Meanwhile, Shay patted the dirt flat with the back of her shovel after throwing dirt in the grave she made.

"Whew."

Shay blew out a hard breath while taking the back of her hand to wipe the excess sweat off her forehead. She quickly looked around before sure that the coast was clear before fleeing the scene. She never thought in a million years she would be in this situation.

"Hey..." James spoke softly.

Mona winced a little in pain as she adjusted herself in the bed. She was careful not to move her hand too hard because of the IV that was in it.

"Hi.." she spoke softly.

"I'm so happy to see you," James gently kissed her forehead.

Tears hit Mona's eyes as she felt his lips for the first time in forever.