Chapter 9: Hidden secrets

Remorse. Remorse rises within me a storm from nowhere crashing down over me. I don't understand why it hurts me more than it should. The armour completes Ariadne's blank face as she speaks with a quiet edge to her voice, "You can leave tomorrow as we have to make sure you are strong enough to travel. I will make sure you have spare clothes, food and some extra essentials."

"Thank You for helping me, when you did not have to."

"It was our duty and we could not let an innocent life go."

I'm surprised in her use of innocent on me. I 'm not innocent because if I were then I would not have caused my family so much trouble. Right???

 I feel my eyes drift shut and as I fall into a sleep I hear footsteps walking away and the door shutting quietly.

The next morning I wake up in a small white room with two wooden chairs and most of the monitors surrounding me have disappeared. A window lies in front of me the glaring light from outside filling up this room and I let out a deep breath. I am leaving to go see the person who disregarded me for all of my life.

I swing my legs round to one side of the bed and I stand up on wobbly legs. I notice some clothes on one of the chairs and I quickly grab them and get changed. As I debate between leaving now or waiting for someone to come with the items I asked for an unknown lady comes into the room. She has an aura of happiness and she siles at me as she drops two bags by my feet, "Here are your bags. Your injuries have healed up a bit but you will still need to go slowly and carefully, so it will take you longer to get there. Your breakfast will be here soon and then you can leave."

I nod my head slowly, "Thank you for doing all of this for me and please thank your alpha for doing this."

She smiles a bright and honest smile that is completely different to Ariadne's shy and soft smile. Her happiness shines through her eyes as she quickly gets up and walks to the door taking a tray from someone before coming back into the room. The tray contains eggs, sausages, two pieces of toast, hash browns, tomatoes and mushrooms. I look at it in awe, "You surely can't mean for me to eat all of that can you???" I say as she places it down, in front of me.

"Of course, I can, you need your strength for the journey and to heal yourself. Also you are now eating for two."

I blush at her casual use of my baby and touched by her thoughtfulness, "OK thank you for everything though."

I begin to eat the eggs with the toast, as I am eating she paces around the room checking I have all I need for the journey and I feel a motherly aura around her as well as her happiness. After I have eaten all I can I push the tray aside and stretch out my arms. I pick up the two bags on the door and hesitate by the door, "Thank you for everything and thank your Alpha for me please."

I know I have already said that but I just had to say it again for all of the kindness they showed me. After I finished speaking, I swallowed hard as a lump remains in my throat. I turn and begin walking out of the door. I then stop realising I have no idea to where the exit is. Turning around I enter the room again and pause, "Where is the exit please, I don't know where it is."

Feeling mortified I turn around again and wait for her. When she is outside I begin to follow her and we go down several flights of stairs and twisting corridors. The doors are right in front of me and I turn around and say for the third time,  "Thank you for everything and thank your Alpha for me please."

She smiles again and nods sharply as her whole face lights up with her smile. I turn around and taking a deep breath I stride through the doors into the morning. The fresh air fills my lungs as I turn and start jogging forward.

I walk and jog and run for what feels like hours. The sun has reached its peak and the light glares down as sweat drips down my face. I collapse onto the floor and get out an energy bar and a bottle of water. After eating them I get back onto my feet and I continue walking. Overall the journey took two days as I travelled through the nights. When I reach my town I almost collapse with relief, but instead I continue on till I reach my house. At my door I hesitate. Taking a deep breath I lift my hand to the door. I knock on it three times. I hear footsteps on the floor and I take a step back. The door slowly opens to reveal .... I take a deep breath, 

"Hi Jared."