Chapter 21: War

The next day's pass by in a blur of fear and pain. It isn't because of my new family but when we could be attacked and if my friends or family get hurt. The Monday starts by me dropping off Iola at her primary school an then me going to my own school. This isn't an only werewolf town therefore we still have to work or go to school instead of preparing for the fight. I feel useless at the moment as I am forbidden to fight and my skills are not good enough to help others train and I am terrible at healing others. I instead try to immerse myself in my studies. They may not be helpful in a battle but if I am to look after the pack's children then I should be able to do it to the best of my ability. 

I know Ajax told me to stay and look after the children but I cannot do that whilst my friends, my family may be injured or hurt because of my birth family. Hopefully, the battle will occur near here so I can always carry injured back to the medical centre for us. Since I was 8 hope stopped in me and I had never had it again, making me into a person who is quite harsh and sees things more realistically but as I have been caring for Iola she has taught me to hope, not a lot but she has taught me to hope. When I don't have any lesson or study sessions, I train. I know I am not going to fight in the war but in case anyone comes near the children I will be able to protect them.

My biggest fear of staying behind is that my friends and family all die and I have to live without them. Maybe even live with my ex family whilst my current family is dead, by their hand. I shiver at that thought and continue to walk towards Iola's school. She is holding my hand as we walk in a comfortable silence. At the entrance gate to her school I bend down to hug her.

"I love you," I whisper as I hug her.

"I love you too!" She replies.

I smile and wave her goodbye as she walks into the building, looking back once and then disappearing from my view. Sighing, I walk away knowing I won't see her again until after school where I come back with a snack for her as we walk back to the pack house. After I had left Iola at her school I walked to my work, where I worked as a cashier at the local shop. It didn't pay much but was enough for me until I graduated. I worked until 12 where I then went to the pack house for lunch. When I had finished eating my sandwich I then used my bike to cycle to my school. The lessons were very interesting but also repetitive as it was a summary of everything we had learnt in the term.

After my classes had finished, I cycled to Iola's primary school where she got onto a seat built into the back of the bike. As I cycled back she talked about her day and the different things they had learnt in each lesson. I slow the bike down, pulling it to a halt as we have arrived at the pack house. I tell Iola to go to her room and do her homework whilst I put my bike away. Once she is out of sight I release a deep breath, then move to lock the bike up in the garage.

War is coming.

Injuries will follow.

Death will follow.

I cannot change that, but I can hope.

I can hope for a better future. One where my child will not have to cower in fear or hide because of some war that is happening.

A better future but also a better childhood where she has everything she could need but also is kind and compassionate.

A tear slips down my cheek and I quickly wipe it off then move to go upstairs to my room.