Chapter 14: Shopping

When we reached our stop, we got off the bus and walked for another 5 minutes to get to the shopping centre. The first shop we go to is a clothes shop where we buy a few stretchy or baggy clothes and some shoes, tops, leggings and undergarments for after my pregnancy. Next, we went to a baby shop, and we got some cute baby clothes as well as toys and a cot (to be delivered at the house). After the shop we went and bought some cookies which were freaking delicious!!!!! When we had finally finished all of them, we went into a bookstore where everyone, including me, bought a book or in Heidi's case, several books. Whilst we were shopping the weather darkened and rain was pouring down in buckets but luckily, I had a raincoat and an umbrella as well as the others being prepared for the eventual rainstorm. In all it took three hours as we had to buy a lot of clothes for me as I had had none.

Instead of going back to our pack house as I had assumed we went out to a pizza restaurant for dinner. At the place I decided to have a Margherita as I hadn't had pizza in such a long time. Charlie and the others decided to join me with Margherita's as well, for drinks I had a chocolate milkshake, but Charlie and Peggy had a salted caramel milkshake whilst Heidi had an Oreo milkshake. The drinks came first, and they were massive but also very delicious in metal cups. A few minutes later our pizza came in on a white plate and my stomach rumbled as I smelled the food. Whilst we ate the mouth-watering food the trio asked me about my life before and more in-depth questions about myself, although there was not a lot to say. The pizza itself was thin with big chunks of mozzarella and we had finished them soon enough. Just before we left the sunset was the topping for the end of the night as it was so beautiful and calming that we all stopped to stare and take pictures of it.

When we had all eventually finished, we walked slowly back to the bus stop, taking in the night sky as we walked. We then sat down to wait for the bus as I thanked the three for taking care of me, however they just shook it off and explained what would now happen about my education since I would now be able to choose where and what I would study after the holidays. They all explain places nearby and the different subjects they have all chosen to study. I decided to look at the wider range of subjects when we got back but I was thinking about drama as an A level. 

The bus pulled to a gentle stop, and we stumble out, walked for a few more minutes and arrived at the house. We entered quietly and they showed me a room that would be mine. It had light blue walls with a wooden floor and a thick rug. There was also a set of windows overlooking a lake and gardens with a window seat in front of the window. On the left of the window is a single bed with plain white covers at the moment and at the foot of the bed is an empty bookshelf. Next to the bookshelf is a wooden set of Chester's drawers. To the right of the window is a long desk with a black chair. The rest of the room is empty and neat.

"I know it isn't much, but you can paint it or add more things or change some," Peggy begins to say.

"I love it," I whisper, interrupting her, "I mean I will add some posters maybe and a few of my own personal touches but I love it!"

Charlie briefly smiles, "That is good. Tomorrow we can help you put everything away but for now we will go to bed. ... Orr at least I will."

I agree with the others, and we decide to meet each other the next day at breakfast.

I get out a few of the blankets I bought earlier and place them on my bed. Next, I add my new book onto my bookshelf and the small amount of stationary into a drawer in the desk. Finally, I take out some clothes including some pyjamas and t-shirts. I change into a mickey mouse top (so what if I'm almost an adult??)  and a black, grey and red chequered bottoms. I quickly change into them and then I stretch out my aching limbs as I realise how tired I am. I clamber onto my new bed and sink into the mattress as my back stretches on the bed. Darkness envelops me as I switch off the light and cocoon myself in blankets. Warmth runs through me, and I smile contentedly at the thought of a new family. The hazy calm of sleep takes over as I fall into darkness, the voices of all the people I knew blaming me and acting how they always would towards me.

I wake up covered in sweat as I pant for air. Sweat sticks my hair to my face and I blink checking this is reality. I push the blankets off myself, and I walk outside of my new room. A small light leads my way and I wander down the hall trying to find the kitchen. Lost in my thoughts and feelings from my nightmare I slip onto the floor banging my elbows and my head in the process. Looking up I see a hand by my face. Quickly grabbing it I stand up to stare at a tall male with short ginger hair and lots of freckles. He smiles sheepishly and I return the gesture. He blushes as he pushes up his navy-blue glasses.

"Hi, I am Nate, you must be Artemis."

I smile, "Yep that is me!"

"W why are you out? May I ask??," he questions, "Not that it is my business." he mutters after.

I smile again and ask him, "Do you know where the kitchen is so I can get some water?"

He seems to brighten up as he quietly exclaims, "That's on my way!"

I turn and we start walking together to the kitchen. We walk in silence until we reach a small kitchen which had a wooden and homely feel. As if sensing my question Nate quickly answers, "We also have a larger kitchen where the main meals are made."

I nod in response before searching beginning to search for a glass. I jump slightly in surprise to a tap on my shoulder, but I then turn and see Nate holding out a glass. A grin spreads to my face and I take the glass then turning to the tap and filling it to the brim. Then I join Nate on the counter and begin drinking the cold water. Swallowing the last of the water I turn to Nate and smile, "Thank You for helping me."

He blushes slightly but replies, "It was the least I could do for you."

I suddenly become nervous and state, "I should probably go back to bed now."

He nods silently in agreement and a sudden sharp tang of disappointment runs through me. I stand up from the counter and leave hurrying down the hallways to my bedroom however before I can get there I am greeted by Heidi. As if sensing my distress, she leads me back to my room without asking anything. My heart beats faster and I can't lie that I was slightly intimidated by her alone as I had a sense that she was only truly happy with her close friends. 

"You alright?"

I nod my head but then slowly, I start shaking my head. She smiles and encourages me to explain, and I start to tell her about my nightmare. Heidi listens intently, without interrupting and I soon find the strength to finish my story, leaving out meeting Nate. Instead of telling me it would be ok or and fake thing that aren't true she shares a quote, "I found this online, and it helps me when I feel alone or sad, 'We are all broken, that's how the light gets in'."

I smile at that, and she gets up to leave stating that her room is opposite to mine. Breathing in slowly I crawl back under my blankets and wait for sleep to take hold of me and as it does the quote echoes in my mind, we are all broken, that's how the light gets in.