-74-

S6

- Chapter 74 -
No Empathy

- Chapter 74 -No Empathy

In a New York City hospital bed, I'm hooked up to a ventilator to help me breathe

In a New York City hospital bed, I'm hooked up to a ventilator to help me breathe. A day-time court show plays on the tv and there's no way I can talk as a nurse checks on me. My eyes shift back and forth watching her every movement.

I was in a coma for a month then I progressed into a different state of unconsciousness called minimally conscious state. I had limited awareness that came and went before I fully woke up completely confused with no recollection of what could've happened to me.

From overhearing a doctor and nurse speaking I gathered I was shot in the head and survived. I can process and understand what people are saying around me, which means the part of the brain responsible for memory and speech is functioning. That's a good sign, but I don't remember anything.

Fortunately for me, the bullet stayed on one side of the brain. My doctors say they're very optimistic for my recovery. They're saying I have great rehabilitation potential like they've never seen before considering what happened to me.

I can hear the door open to my hospital room before the clicking of heels. A few seconds a woman with tan skin and black hair appears. She's familiar because she's come to visit everyday since I opened my eyes. She holds a cellphone to her ear and I hear her say, "Now that he's awake you know they're going to set a trial date."

I watch her talk on the phone with her back to me. During her conversation a dark skin man over six feet walks in. I close my eyes pretending I'm asleep because I simply don't want to deal with any of them trying to make me remember them.

I hear her end the call and have a short conversation with the nurse before she leaves the room. It's quiet then a deep male voice says, "You still mad at me?"

I hear a lip smack then, "You shot up a van full of females and a baby. Killed a barely legal teen. What exactly did that do?" I open one of my eyes looking at the exchange.

"I told you, we were running behind schedule. I didn't know they already dropped Glock off at prison. I was aiming at the other sister, Miranda. She helped set my brother up. We miscalculated."