-41-

S4

- Chapter 41 -
Too Many Snakes

Despite it being a Saturday morning most people were already up in the Tri-State area getting on for the day

Despite it being a Saturday morning most people were already up in the Tri-State area getting on for the day. On the other hand, this was usually the day Rhea slept in along with the kids. After 11a.m. she rolls over deciding it's time to get up and get the day started finally. In the process of rolling over and looking at the clock she can also see that the other side of the bed is empty. She wasn't surprised. It didn't matter if it's a weekday or the weekend, Apollo was up at the crack of dawn ready to start working if he even came home the night before.

Apollo didn't believe in sleep. His motto was the infamous Nas line, "Sleep is the cousin of death." If people knew how little sleep Apollo got they would wonder how he's still functioning like a normal human being. The thing was, Apollo never looked at himself as a normal human. Since he was a teen he knew he was going to have to work very hard to get the life that he envisioned for himself and his family.

He saw his grandfather and father work hard for everything they had in the past, only for it to be taken away. He didn't want that to happen to himself. He could've easily found a legal way to get money, but this is what he knew since a child. He would never look down on selling drugs when it was the reason they got out of the hood to a multi-million dollar home and driving their dream cars. His kids would never know what the projects looked like or even smelled like.

Rhea sighs looking at the empty side of the bed where the covers are pushed back. She was only upset he was gone because he said he would take this weekend off. Rhea should've known he wasn't going to do that. Apollo works 25/8. She sits up in the bed looking over to see a bouquet of roses in a vase and a jewelry box right beside it.

Rhea pushes her messy bed hair out of her face wondering what this was for. They haven't argued lately, they've actually been on good terms for a few weeks. Apollo has been oddly nice and easy-going while at home with his family. Rhea grabs the remote on her nightstand using it to open the motorized curtains to let some sunlight into the master bedroom.

She reaches over grabbing the small jewelry box sitting it in her lap then grabbing the card in the roses beginning to read it:

I know our wedding anniversary isn't for another month, but I thought I'd get you this. Couldn't pass it up. One day you'll have everything you want... Like a nigga you can show off in public. Until then, you can rock this. 6 more months, Ray.

Rhea smiles to herself putting the card back in the flowers. She holds the box wondering what it is. She knew for a fact whatever it is it has to be diamonds. Rhea opens the box slowly immediately being shocked by the sight of a huge diamond ring. She shuts the box with her mouth open. "Is this real?" She mumbles to herself. She felt like she was dreaming. She gets out of the bed opening the box once again to still see the same ring.