Part 3 chapter 5

A few minutes later. January 2000.

I am running to the training room. I need to know 2 things. 1: has Natalia told dreykov that I let Susan go. And 2: did Susan make it out or have they caught her.

I walk in and everyone is in a circle and I join them. I look up and see dreykov looking stressed. I notice yelena as she's walking towards me. "Where the hell have you been?" I shake my head. "I was talking to Natalia." She looks around almost scared. "Someone has escaped the academy and they don't think she did it alone." I have to act. Which is good because I'm good at that. "Well who do they think it was?" She shakes her head. "They don't know but the cameras went down and then the person escaped. Dreykov is pissed and madame b is checking the perimeter." I sigh. "It's scary how people can just leave like that." She nods. "I know." I look over and see Jessie staring right at me. I can't read her, it's like deciphering The Voynich manuscript. I notice dreykov approaching Natalia and I listen to their conversation. "Do you know anything about this?" She looks him straight in the eyes. "No. Sir." My heart relaxes. She covered for me. Why? "Earth to Melissa." I look up and see yelena waving her hand in the air. "Sorry, I was just thinking." She nods.

"Ok, so as you know someone has escaped the academy. Which leaves us no choice but to go on lockdown. We need to find out who helped this student leave and we won't stop until we find out. Understood?" Everyone answers in unison. "Yes sir" he walks away and I look down at the ground. Shit, I messed up, I can't take it back. I bite my lip in frustration. I'm locked deep in thought when. "Melissa and Natalia. In my office now." Everyone stares at us and I walk into his office behind Natalia. "You two are the best two in here. And I hope you are both aware with that. Next week I'm thinking about sending you on a mission. But you both have to prove to me in training this week. Speaking of. We have target practice with guns now, so go In and get ready and I will bring in the targets." We nod. "Ok. Go." We walk out and Natalia leads me to the room where they do target practice. Once in the room I look at Natalia. "Why didn't you tell him about me?" She sets down the gun and looks at me. "Because I didn't ok, just be appreciative of it and don't ask questions." I smile. "I am appreciative. More than. Thank you miss Romanova." She smiles back at me. "Well don't expect me to do it for all the time, it was a one time thing. But remember." She slowly walks over to me and stands maybe an inch away from me. Looking up at me with her big green eyes. "You owe me." I nod. She smells like lavender and a hint of vanilla. It's a nice smell. And her lips, oh god her lips. Before I have time to acknowledge anything else about her I walk away over to the guns.

After a few minutes of getting the guns prepared, dreykov walks in, along with all the other girls. "Bring in the targets." I expect to see like metal targets or paper ones but when I see them bringing in humans my eyes widen. They use humans as targets. What? This place really is messed up. I look down at the mans finger and see a ring. He's married, he maybe even has kids. I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces.

"Natalia? Would you like to show them how it's done?" She nods and walks to pick up the gun. I look at her in disbelief. I can't stop her because then the whole academy would know that I helped Susan, but I can't just let him die, my mind is running a million miles an hour. Without even being aware of it I hear gunshots, my ears in agony, usually if I know that shots are going to be fired, I can sort of calm my hearing down but it was on high alert and it really hurt my ears. I couldn't look at the scene that had just happened, I hated that this maybe innocent man died. "Melissa, your up next. Bring in the next target." I feel sick. I hate having to kill anyone. During the war, maybe I killed some nazis but they were criminals and started a world war. But these people, these people seem completely harmful. They bring in another man, this time he's a lot bigger and has tattoos all over arms "kill him." I nod and pick up the gun. If you do this your a bad person, but if your a bad agent. I take a deep breath and shoot the man perfectly in the spots I aimed for. Beside me I hear dreykov clap. I block out everything and look at the lifeless body infront of me. I'm an awful person. A tear threatens to leave my eye but I blink it away. I must have been lost in my thoughts for a while because when I looked around everyone was gone apart from one person. Jessie. She walks up to to me and pats my back. "I'm assuming you didn't want to kill him." I look around at her and chuckle. "Did you want to kill that other guy?" She shakes her head. I look down at her. "We should probably get going." She nods and I walk away.

I walk into he cafeteria and a few people stare at me and just ignore it. I grab a tray and the chefs put potatoes and steak on my plate. "Thank you." I walk off to yelena and she gives me a sympathetic look. "First kills always the worst." I take her tray and give her mine. "I can't believe they make us kill actual people." I look back and see Natalia sitting on her own. "You and Natalia see quite close lately." I shake my head. "Not really. We just have talked a few times." She nods. "Yeah, well she's staring at you right now." I don't turn around. "Are you going to eat anything." I shake my head. "You haven't eaten all day." I can't eat, even just the thought of food makes me want to be sick. "I feel very sick." She looks at me concerned. "Do you need to go to the bathroom." I nod and I begin to walk but I stumble on my way there. I don't think anyone notices me though. I make it to the bathroom and I walk into the cubicle and throw up. I didn't think I need to throw up but I did. I get up after a few minutes and I hear the door open. I lock the cubicle but the person knocks. "Someone's in here." After a few more knocks I open the door. "Someone is in he-" I see Jessie staring at me with her big green eyes. "I just came in here to see if you were alright, you looked like you were about to faint back there." I nod. "Thanks, I just think today's not my day. With the stress of dreykov maybe finding out about Susan and having to kill someone who hasn't done anything wrong. It's just a lot to take in." I was about to leave when she pulled me in for a hug. I hugged her back, she's a good hugger. "Your really warm. You know that?" I chuckle. "Like really warm, are you sure you don't have a fever?" I shake my head. "I'm always warm." She pulls away from the hug and I kind of wish she didn't, I don't know why.

After about 15 minutes of Natalia and I talking, I look at the clock and realize it's time for bed. "We should get going." She nods. "You leave first and I'll wait a few minutes." I smile at her. "Thank you." She looks at me confused. "For what?" I shake my head. "Just for being here." She nods. "Anytime." I chuckle and walk out.

When I was walking to my room, a thought kept going through my mind. Do I like Natalia? As a friend, maybe. As more. I can't. Where I'm from it's forbidden. And maybe it's just because I've been lonely for a while and she's been there. It's nothing. I don't like Natalia. I don't. Right?

A/N
Natalia and Madison. 😳 idk what I'll decide to do in the next chapter. I'm a very indecisive person. So let's just see what I have in store.

Also if you enjoyed this chapter please consider voting.

Thanks for reading. <3