Part 5 chapter 8

A few hours later. Stark expo. New York. June 2010.

We arrive at the expo. I finally got that paint out of my hair. It didn't take as long as I though it would. "I am not excited for tonight." Pepper smiles at me. "I know you hate the guy but at least see what he has to offer." I sigh as happy opens the door for me. "I told you, you don't have to do that for me happy." He just smiles and we walk in. A woman walks up to me with her son, I presume. He's wearing an iron man helmet and I smile. He holds up a poster and a pen. I take the poster and sign it. "Here you go iron man." I hear him giggle and he waves goodbye. I wave back. I turn around and see Natasha looking at me. "Shall we?" I raise my eyebrow and she smirks. "We shall." I bow down and put my arm out. "Ladies first." She raises an eyebrow. "Why thank you." I chuckle and follow her inside.

We locate pepper and sit beside her. Everyone starts clapping and cheering as hammer dances onto the stage. I cringe at him. "Yeah! That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for coming. Ladies and gentlemen, for far too long, this country has had to place its brave men and woman in harm's way, but then the iron man and the tribrid arrived, and we thought the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right." I roll my eyes. This technology is too valuable to let the public or even the military have. If the suit got into the wrong hands, who knows what would happen. "And it's just too bad." My hands curl up in a ball. I swear if something happens tonight and it's hammers fault. I'm gonna hit someone. "Oh lord." I look over at pepper. I see Natasha looking down at my hands but I keep them tight in a ball. My breathing beginning to get a little heavier. "Regardless, it was an impressive innovation, one that grabbed headlines the world over. Well, today, my friends, the press is faced with quite a different problem. They are about to run out of ink." A few people clap and I feel my blood begin to boil. Please don't be what I think it's gonna be. "Ladies and gentlemen, today I present to you the new face of the United States military. The hammer drones." The stage opens up. "Army!" Drones come up from the stage. I'm mad, I'm real mad. I don't know why I'm mad, they're just drones, but I can't help but feel like he's ripping off, Mr. Starks, iron Man. "Navy!" More suits come from the stage and I can feel blood dripping down my wrist. I open up my palm and see the nail marks on my palms slowly fade away. "Air force!" I lean my head back in frustration. Where's Mr. Stark when you need him? "Marines! Yeah! Yeah! Whoo!" I feel breath on my ear. "Do not lose your temper. Please. For the sake of everyone here, don't do it." I look over at Natasha. "No promises." I lean back in my seat but relax a little bit. Her speech didn't help but it took the edge off. "That's a hell of a lot better that some cheerleaders, let me tell you. But as revolutionary as this technology is, there will always be a need for a man to present in the Theater of war. Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to present to you the very first prototype in the variable threat response battle suit and it's pilot, Air Force lieutenant colonel James Rhodes." I feel Natasha look at me. "I've had enough of this." I stand up and storm towards the edge of the stage. "For America and it's allies, hammer industries is reporting for..." I make it to the edge of the stage and see tony landing. "Finally." I run out onto the stage. "Where have you been." He looks at me and Rhodes. "We got trouble." I give him a confused look. "Tony there are civilians present." I do not want another beat down to happen. "I'm here on orders. Let's not do this right now." I move back a little and look back at hammer. "What are you looking at hammer time." I flash my eyes at him and he turns the other way. He turns back around and approaches us. "Give them a wave." Hammer walks in front of us and I walk back from stage. "Madison no I need to explain to you." I point to my ear And Mouth. "I'll be listening." I walk to the side of the stage and stand there not wanting to draw attention to the whole thing. "All these people Are in danger, we gotta get them out of here. You gotta trust me for the next five minutes." I look over at hammer and then over at Natasha. I run to my bag and grab my suit. "Let's do this." I go to a closet and get changed. I run out and hear everyone fleeing. I walk down to hammer and he looks over at me. I walk up to him and punch him in the face. "Madison!" I look back and see pepper. "Sorry. I just really wanted to do that." Hammer holds up his hands. "Please, please go away. I've got this handled." I look down at the computer and push past hammer. I try to hack into the system. "It's a one way system. You can only stops the drones from the computer they were fired from. Where is vanko?" I look at hammer. He doesn't reply. Natasha walks up to him and grabs his arm and pushes his face to the table. "Where is he?" She pushes him harder. "Where is he?" "He's at my facility." I look at pepper and run out towards the front of the building. I see happy and walk Up to him. "Nobody's answering their phones. What's going on?" I look behind me and see Natasha. "I'll explain in the car." I hear Natasha walking up right behind me. "Take us to hammer industries." Natasha is now in front of me. I walk over to the passenger side of the car. "I'm not taking you anywhere." I look over at happy. "It's important. Please." I give him the puppy dog eyes. "No." I roll my eyes and open the car door. "Fine, we'll drive ourselves." I look over at Natasha. "No I'm driving get in the car."

We are currently in the car on the way to hammer industries. I explained to happy what's going on and I created a digital map of the building. "Natasha, you Take the left side and I'll take the right. If my sources are correct the main data room is in here. So that's where we will meet. It's like a square. Is that okay?" She nods and starts taking off her dress. I turn back around quickly. I see happy watching Natasha. I reach up and rip off the mirror. "Eyes on the Road." I continue estimating how many guards will be in the facility.

After a very awkward car ride, we finally make it. I get out first, quickly followed by Natasha. "Be careful." She nods and I run off to the right. I see a guy coming at me. I grab his shoulder, and lift him up and throw him down. Another guard approaches and I use my powers to throws him into two guards behind him. I vamp speed towards another guy and bite his neck, not killing him but he falls to the ground. I send a water blast right at a guard coming at me. I walk into the room that Ivan was supposed to be in, but I don't see him, but I do see a Natasha standing there. Of course she beat me to it. "What's it looking like?" I walk up to the computer and look. "I take the keyboard and hack into Rhodeys suit and reboot it. "That's what I was doing." I smirk. "But I did it faster." Natasha takes the keyboard from me and Tony appears on the screen. "Reboot complete. You got your best friend back." I look at Natasha. "Thank you very much, agent romanoff." I roll my eyes. I'll let her take this one. "Well done with the chest piece. I am reading significantly higher output. And your vitals are looking promising." I smirk. I'm glad he did it. Well him and Howard. I heard Howard left it in the model he left. Honestly it's genius. Tony rediscovered vibranium, I mean I kind of figured it out but he did the work. "Yes, for the moment I'm not dying. Thank you." I look up and see pepper on the screen. "What do you mean you're not dying? Did you say you're dying?" I take a seat and watch as the magic happen. "Is that you? No I'm not. Not anymore." I look up at Natasha and smile. "Ahhh that is the sound I missed. Makes me feel at home." I put my arms behind my head. "What's going on?" Pepper seems concerned, I mean I was too, but she seems concerned. Maybe she should take some of the Tetrodotoxin B. Helped me. "I was going to tell you. I didn't want to alarm you." I get up from my seat and look at the guys hanging from the roof. "You were gonna tell me, you really were dying?" I walk over and lift the guys from the roof and place them on the floor. "Sorry, you guys died. You'll be missed." I sigh and walk back over to the computer. "You didn't let me...." "Why didn't you tell me that?" "I was gonna make you an omelet and tell you." Natasha look up at me and rolls her eyes. "Hey, hey. Save it for the honeymoon. You got incoming tony." I look up confused. "You guys are having a honeymoon and you didn't tell me. I want to come. Not if your going to a boring country though. If you're going to like the Bahamas or like Paris, I want to come." I look around and smile. I turn around and walk toward the wall. "Pepper, pepper." "Are you okay?" "I am fine. Don't be mad. I will formally apologize..." "I am mad!" "...when I'm not fending off a hammeroid attack." I let out a small laugh. "Mr. Stark? Do you need my help?" He shakes his head. "No. Just make sure the civilians stay safe." I lean against the door frame and cross my arms. "Pepper, we could have been in Venice." I look out the door and see a bunch of guys lying on the floor. She really went hard on them. "Oh please." I smile as Natasha turns off the computer. I sigh. "Well this is awkward." She nods. "Do something different with your hair?" She rolls her eyes and walks off. "It looks nice!" I call out. Speed walking behind her. "Director fury would like to meet with you." I furrow my brows. "Don't ask." I nod. I point. "To- wait where are we going?" She rolls her eyes and tells happy to Drive to some random spot. Guess that's where fury is.

A/n

This is another long chapter. Also next chapter is the last chapter of this part. I was considering doing a second book. But I'm just going to do it in one. So this book will have like 200 chapters or something. The way it's going. I figured it would be easier to do just one book instead of two or three. Also sorry for taking a while to update. I've been a little busy.

Also if you enjoyed this chapter please consider voting.

Thanks for reading <3