Chapter 2 - Clean

Tuesday

Tuesday

It was raining outside and I was left inside of my room to rest while my mom went out to get food for us. She decided it would be best for me to stay home from school and rest until the dizziness went away. My vision had gotten better, but sometimes it would get blurry and then fix itself after a couple of minutes. I felt nausea and couldn't sit up without feeling like the room was spinning. Maggie kept texting me throughout the morning asking how I was feeling and any updates on my health. I told her I was fine and that I would return to school by Thursday. I brought up the fact that I had seen Landon but she didn't have an answer as to why he would be in the hospital and she would be asking around her clique.

I have an appointment today at four to get a proper diagnosis and my first treatment. They would run tests on me like a guinea pig to make sure I had what I had been told and not diagnosed with something far worse.

All morning I watched some old reruns of Gilmore Girls until my mom came home. It was finally around noon and she was back with endless supplies of food and snacks. She said she didn't want me to be doing a lot of work with cooking or getting anything and said it was more convenient to stock up now and not leave me alone for hours. 

I told her it was fine but she still insisted on always being by my side. My mom was a lovely woman. She knew how to take care of me from the minute I was born. She made sure I always had everything for school and had every type of clothing article in my closet. It was always her and I against the world.

No one else, just the two of us.

"Make sure you hydrate yourself, you know what the doctor said," my mom says from the kitchen. I was already packing some things into my small backpack. My earbuds, my book, a journal, and a pen. I didn't know how long I would be there, but I knew I needed to bring extra things for entertainment.

We arrived at the hospital and sat in the waiting room as I waited for my name to be called. It wasn't as packed but a good amount of seats were taken. It would take a while so I decided to take out Pride and Prejudice. Mom was reading one of those home magazines while the tv was airing a talk show. They were talking about spring cooking recipes and home decor even though we were still in January, and it was cold as ice. These were things that suburban mothers in their forties with two kids would enjoy. But not my mom.

I'm a couple of pages in when I feel someone sit next to me. I didn't bother to look up and bury my nose deeper into the book. This person, this stranger smells strongly of pine wood. Such an odd scent for a stranger. Had they been in the woods before coming to the hospital? And then that's when the clinking of a chain clashing against the metal part of the chair catches my attention. I looked through my peripheral vision to get a peek and notice its a boy. A boy around my age. I looked down and notice his doc martens. The black ones that tough boys liked to wear. Then I notice the rings on this boy's hand. They looked oddly familiar. Could it be...?