Chapter 27 - Birthday

Friday

Friday

It was Landon's birthday today. The boys and I decided to throw him a small birthday party to celebrate his birthday and Julie would be joining me to run a couple of errands in town to prepare for tonight.

I was packing a couple of things in my overnight bag since the twins thought it would be a good idea to stay at their place and not have to end the party so early. I wouldn't exactly call it a party, but they insisted that it would be like 'Project X'. Even though there would only be seven of us at their house.

"Are you staying with Landon?" My mom's voice startles me deep in thought while packing my things. I turn around to face her and she has a small smile on her face. I've avoided her ever since the dinner and she's been trying to talk to me. We've butted heads more than we have hugged.

I nod. "It's his birthday today and we're celebrating it at the twin's house. Maggie is also coming over with her boyfriend. I should be back by noon tomorrow."

"That's nice honey," she says with a smile, "I've been doing some thinking. You're growing up and I can't stop no matter how much I try to protect you. So I have to give you a proper explanation."

"You don't have to if you don't want to," I say, shaking my head.

"Sit down please," she says and I comply. I sit down at the edge of my bed and I wait. She sits down on the desk chair and interlaces her hands. A habit she always had and did in order to not give away the fact that she's nervous.

"My parents put me into an all girls boarding school because I was a lot like the girls here. I wanted to escape the boring old town and enjoy the city life, but my parents were old fashioned and didn't want to venture out. They thought I was too wild for them and I was always getting into trouble myself."

"You got into a lot of trouble?" I ask with a growing grin. She never came across that type as I grew up. She was the mom that always wrote your name on everything you owned, she was the type to put a backpack with a leash on you, she was the type to not let you hang out with your friends alone unless there was a trusted adult around, and she was certainly not the type to let you have a phone until you were fourteen.

She nods sheepishly and bites her lip trying to contain her smile. "I was always bored and the only thing we had in town was just this old plaza with a Walmart, a Denny's, and a donut shop. If you could imagine what teens did just to entertain themselves. Everyone tried to get their license by sixteen so they can just drive to the next town over."

"So they just put you into a boarding school and you just ran away?"

"I ran away to the main city and I found this cheap place to live in with other college students that were splitting the rent. They didn't care that I wasn't a student as long as I paid my part of the rent. So I worked at the diner near all of those skyscrapers and penthouses in the nice part of town. That's where I met him."