Chapter 26 - Closer

Thursday

Thursday

"How does tomorrow sound to go over what I found?" Harvey asks over the line. He found him. He was able to find my father.

"Yeah, that's fine with me," I say with a shaky voice. "We can meet at the twin's house."

"No problem. I'll also bring over the documents I found on your mom as well," he says. I also made him dig through my mom's life for more information. Hence why she was acting weird when I brought up the fact that she wasn't telling me anything about her life or my dad.

After the line cuts off, I leave the hospital's restroom and go to join Landon outside in the waiting room. I came for the monthly check in with my progress to make sure there was no fast progression of the illness. I was feeling pretty slow lately and my nerves sometimes felt like it was sending shock waves throughout my body. I have been feeling more dizzy lately and nauseous.

"Harvey called," I tell Landon as I sit down next to him.

"What did he say?" he asks with those curious gray eyes.

"He's coming over tomorrow to talk about everything he found out about both my parents," I say, fidgeting with my hands.

"That's good right?"

"I guess," I shrug, unsure of how to think about the situation. "What if he has a whole different family and doesn't even want anything to do with me? Or what if my mom is some kind of psychopath that actually kidnapped me?"

He lets out a chuckle. "I don't think she kidnapped you. Is she overprotective? Yeah, she's your mom, of course she's going to try to hover over your business and make sure nothing happens to you."

"But she's so extreme," I say with a groan.

"Well what happened for her to act that way?"

Loud pounding at the door.

The door kicked down.

Getting chased in the house.

Fighting him off of me as I hit him with my bedside table lamp.

Hiding in the closet.

Calling the police and my mom frantically.

The memories flash through my mind like some film as I remember that she started acting this way ever since that man broke into our house. He was a coworker that fantasized about my mom so much that he completely convinced himself that she was the type to want the attention of a man that loved so hard. That she loved the chase and the rush of getting chased and stalked.

My mom hated that man, she begged HR to move her departments but they refused. In the end causing us both trauma and an apologetic letter from them days after the situation. My mom stopped showing up to her workplace, not even bothering to submit a two week notice and eventually started looking at other jobs in other places. She eventually found the position of an area manager here in Crescent City and packed up all of our stuff. I said goodbye to my teachers and moved across the other side of the country.