Chapter 20 - Conversations

Wednesday

Wednesday

My heart beats loudly in my chest as I stare at the devil herself, standing at my door staring right back at me.

"Can I come in?" Julie asks as she awkwardly stands and looks everywhere, but me.

I clear my throat and stand aside, opening the door wide enough. "Sure, come in."

She carefully walks inside of my house like I had traps lined up for her to walk into. "I'm actually here to talk to you, woman to woman," she says as we head towards the couches, "No more relaying messages through other people."

I nod and wait for her to continue. "What's going on?"

"I wanted to talk to you about what's been going on with Landon and I," she says, "I wanted to come here and tell you that I will officially be breaking up with him after some deep thought."

I furrow my brows in confusion. "W-why?"

She sighs and avoids eye contact. She shakes her leg up and down and it makes me bubble up inside with nerves. "I realized that fighting everyday isn't going to help our relationship. I also realized that I can't force him to rekindle his feelings for me and I can't put him through that."

I nod. "I see."

"After the party, things came into light and I ruined things after Kenzie riled me up. I believed her theories and I fed that into Landon's mind. I had convinced myself that Landon was into you when he wasn't," she says fidgeting with her fingers, "I pushed him away when there wasn't a reason to."

"I understand and I know why you would act that way," I say, "You guys had so much history together and I barely know the scratch of the surface. I can see why Kenzie would tell you that I was trying to pursue him. He was alone and you were in the hospital in a deep coma."

She chuckles dryly. "Sammy told me that you were in the restroom when Kenzie was telling her about her plans with Landon."

I sigh. "I actually wanted to approach you about that."

"I know that I was harsh and it was because I actually was insecure for the most part, and I realized that you were better after all."

"I'm not," I shake my head, "I have an illness that I have to go to the hospital for for the rest of my life."

"Holy shit I didn't know," she says with a gasp.

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess we both aren't that good for him."

She shakes her head. "No, absolutely not. Kenzie was right about you. He deserves someone who isn't manic, has daddy issues, or been a punching bag her whole life," she says with watery eyes, "I have a lot of baggage and I thought that dating Landon would make that disappear. At first it did and then it turned sour really quick."