Chapter 11 - Twilight

Tuesday

Tuesday

Maggie came over to my house to get ready for her date with Eric. I sit on my bed watching as she applies her curlers to her hair and think about the crazy day at school we had today. Not only was Julie in most of my classes, but she was sitting pretty close to me in almost all of them except for English. That was the only class that we didn't have together. Landon spent most of English talking about Julie and how he wanted me to include her in plans that Maggie and I would make in the future. Apparently Julie never really had a whole lot of friends in town and the ones that she did hang out with before the accident either moved away, or acted like they didn't know her.

I was convinced that it was a situation where they might've used her for popularity due to the fact that she was dating the star quarterback. At lunch she sat with us and Landon along with Eric. From an outside perspective we were an odd group, consisting of the outcasts, a retired football player, the popular girl, an alienated it girl and the girl who always feels sick. But from the inside perspective we just shared one thing in common; alone.

Maggie wasn't necessarily alone but she always feels like she is when she sees how happy couples are around her and she isn't experiencing that. Eric was always alone even with his group of friends but I can tell that the breakup with Sammy affected him a lot, especially with it being a betrayal from his best friend. Landon was alone with the empty house he lived in with the lack of parental figures and his girlfriend on the verge of dying. Julie was alone on that hospital bed and minutes before going into the back of the ambulance.

However, I was always alone. I preferred to keep it that way and only because that's how my mom raised me to be. The house was empty majority of the time with her being at work and leaving me to endure the trauma of an admirer trying to break into the house and almost murdering me. I never knew what it was like to go to those father-daughter dances or ask my dad to stop the boys from teasing me at school. I never went over to friend's houses for sleepovers because my mom was very overprotective, and I was never invited to birthday parties. Maggie was the only person that I felt like was a real friend until now. Never been in a relationship or felt romantic feelings for a boy. I was never asked out on a date or to the dance.

Even while surrounded by people similar to my outcast ways, I still felt like I didn't belong. Maggie now had Eric and Landon was with Julie. I was the awkward fifth wheel. Fuck this was so much worse than being alone.

"So the big curls or smaller curls?" Maggie asks as she plays around with the curler in her hand.

"I like the bigger ones because they make your hair look more voluminous," I say. "What are you going to wear?"

"So I have these high waisted jeans that flare at the bottom along with this sheer pale pink long sleeve shirt and I'm thinking of wearing this denim jacket with sherpa lining," she says in one breath.

I blink. "What?"

She shakes her head. "Do you not have vision?" She shows me the outfit that she's talking about. It's a pretty decent outfit and I'm sure she can pull it off better than I could. Although it is something I wouldn't think of wearing, it's just not my style.