Chapter 13 - Sick

Thursday

Thursday

I flush the toilet as I watch the remains of my breakfast disappear into the school's plumbing and wipe my mouth. I skipped my AP Chemistry class feeling awfully ill. I wanted to curl up into a fetal position and lay there until I shriveled up and died. I hated that I felt this sick and weak. There was nothing else that I could do to make myself feel better except to just lie down.

I still wasn't on speaking terms with my mom again, like that was anything but new. I skipped dinner and woke up with my stomach basically eating itself. I only had time to grab a granola bar and a banana before I heard my mom's door opening. I dashed all the way to school, not ignoring the gut wrenching feeling of Landon forgetting to give me a ride once again.

Like before, I didn't blame him. He was ecstatic to have Julie back in his life and that was his girlfriend. I was just a classmate and acquaintance. I grab my backpack and clean myself up before heading to the football field to get some fresh air. No one would say anything to me, as long as I don't get caught leaving the school's premises.

As I make my way to the bleachers, I see students running on the track field even though it was barely snowing outside. The weather wasn't all too bad but it was still cold outside. I sit down on one of the middle bleachers and watch as the students partake on their physical activities. There were a couple of students sitting in the bleachers with him but they were all far away and not crowding around me.

I take out my current read—Frankenstein By Mary Shelley. I was in the mood for a gothic horror this week and decided to pick it up. I was already intrigued about the author's infamous actions on her mother's grave, something I didn't even think was out of pocket, but nonetheless wanted to read something popular.

"Aren't you Landon's little friend?" A voice behind me asks. I turn around confused at the person that decided to distract me and ruin my mood as I only got to read the first couple of words on the first page.

Sage Holden. One of the infamous Holden Boys. His green eyes stared me down like a pair of familiar jewels. His eyes matched his name. His tan complexion was the polar opposite of his brother's and his attitude was much calmer and more serious I'd say.

"What about me?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I haven't seen you around him," he says, "I guess since he got back together with Julie, you guys sort of stopped hanging out."

"Do you even go here?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"No, but I don't think anyone really cares," he says with a smirk.

"So then how do you get around?"

"I blend in easily," he says with a chuckle.

He certainly does not. "You don't," I say scrunching up my nose, "you stand out."