Chapter 33 - Rookie

Wednesday

Wednesday

ONE MONTH LATER...

The sun was beginning to set and a few officers were already heading home. Leaving me alone at the station with Bobby while two other officers were patrolling. I've only done a couple of ride-alongs with Howard for a month and had a bit of a gist about what field work was like. I was mostly put to work on office duties and put in police reports and update cases.

The police scanner would go off once every hour and they were usually old people needing help with something around their house. I was getting tired and almost dozed off just staring at this old static computer monitor.

"Any plans for Friday?" Bobby asks as he shoves fries into his mouth. Bobby was a long time friend of Howard's and my dad's. I've known him since I was a toddler and he also happened to be Dylan's dad.

I shake my head. "I'm scheduled to patrol the fairgrounds," I say.

"Lucky you," he says, "I have to be on standby in case of the fires."

"Does it always get hectic on the 4th of July?"

"It's a boring town kid, everyone tries to do something stupid to entertain themselves," he snorts.

Layla talked about going over to Andrew's house for the holiday since her brothers want to see the fireworks. I was at ease knowing she had people looking after her over there and I didn't have to worry about anything that could possibly happen to her. Even though I'm on the other side of the country again, we never missed a chance to talk.

She sent me pictures of herself earlier today and it took all of my strength to not book a flight immediately. She looked beautiful even if she was just trying to show me what outfit she should wear to an outing with the twins.

The police scanner goes off again and I tried not to pay too much attention, already knowing what the call is going to be about.

"11-54 at Fern Street and Aberdeen Drive," the familiar voice of Sarah speaks. Suspicious vehicle. An outsider coming through town?

"Officer Grahams, what's your status?" Bobby answers through the scanner's walkie talkie.

"Following the vehicle. Appears to be a red '76 Impala. Expired plates and illegal windshield tint," Sarah answers.

"10-23 Standby," Bobby answers and the scanner goes quiet.

I continue to update a case that happened right as I started working here. A group of people abandoning a stolen vehicle near the campsite. Traces of cocaine and marijuana were found and the car belonged to a man that had been murdered in Arkansa, days before rangers found the vehicle.

The man that was killed was a part of a European gang that infiltrated the states. No one really knows what his gang affiliations were except for a tattoo, but that didn't lead anywhere since no other suspect that was arrested for gang activity shared the same tattoo. The information was passed on to the FBI, but they don't have a lot of evidence or similar crimes to build a case.