Epilogue

Thursday

Thursday

1 YEAR LATER...

The restaurant was pretty crowded for the brunch hour. I kept checking my phone in hopes of Charlotte letting me know that she was on her way. We finally had a chance to meet up for lunch after she was done with her finals and came back from the Hamptons with River.

River was her new boyfriend and he was the total opposite from Vincent. I first met him when she brought him along to a dinner party that the twins threw at their penthouse. Of course the twins invited Vincent, but he didn't show up. Instead River did, and at Charlotte's side. We were all curious about the sudden change of companionship, but it was obvious that Vincent was avoiding everyone, including Charlotte.

River was quite the romantic one and loved taking Charlotte out on extravagant dates, from what I could see on their instagram stories and how ecstatic Charlotte looked. He was very friendly with everyone and got along with the crew so well. He invited us to every family party that his parents would throw or any small trip. I could tell that Charlotte was happier and that she needed something stable in her life for once.

Charlotte's auburn brown hair came into view as her blue eyes met mine. "Hey, sorry for the wait, I had to stop by the office to drop off my resume," she says slightly out of breath. She sits down in the empty chair in front of me. Her copper hair was no longer a thing ever since she started dating River.

"Everything went okay?" I ask, hinting at the fact that she applied to one of the biggest publishing companies as an intern. She was on the path to becoming one of New York Times best sellers and she wanted to learn more about her field of interest.

"Well I won't hear from them until next week, but I have a good feeling," she says with a nervous smile.

"I'm sure you'll get it, I mean your work is already good enough to get published already," I say as I flag the waiter down.

"I still have a lot of work to do, not exactly ready to hit publish," she says sheepishly. "How are things with Landon? Has he gotten far with that case?"

Landon continued to work in the police field right after he ran into some wanted gang members last summer. He was a great help to the Crescent City police department and gave tips to the FBI. Right now he was working undercover with some agents to get even more information and a potential hit on the ring leader.

"A little burnt out from going on a cat and mouse chase, but he's back at the house," I say. "And you and River?"

"He might make it into the official USA team for the Olympics," she says with a smile, "he's super excited and he's been training really hard."

"That's amazing. He's lucky to have a support team like you."

The waiter comes and takes our orders and leaves once again. "I actually also wanted to talk to you about something. You still have enough time to think about it, but Maxine is getting married and she wants to host the wedding in Maui."