Chapter 17 - Distance

Monday

Monday

Julie and I were staring at each other in the girl's bathroom waiting for the girls washing their hands to leave us alone. Maggie was staring at both of us with a nervous look like we were about to murder each other. The girls finally left the bathroom and the late bell rang.

"Are you going to talk or waste my time?" I ask, folding my arms over my chest.

"I'm going to ask you a question and I need you to be honest," Julie says with a serious look on her face, "Do you have feelings for Landon?"

Maggie looks at me with a look I can't quite explain, pity?

"No," I say confidently, "are we done here? I'm already late for class."

"Yeah, the class that Landon is in with you," Julie says glaring at me.

I roll my eyes. "You can't stop me from going to that class. If you want to blame someone, blame the school."

"So Kenzie was right huh, Maggie," Julie says as she catches Maggie's gaze.

"Kenzie was just reaching for something that wasn't there," Maggie says.

"But it makes sense. You've known about Landon for months and are trying to take advantage of the fact that I was in the hospital," she says clenching her jaw, "you have feelings for Landon don't you?"

"We're only friends," I say.

"Not for long," Julie says, "I need you to stay away because I'm his girlfriend and his first priority. I don't need you to be butting into our relationship."

"I'm not butting into anything," I say feeling myself get angry, "you need to stop being so insecure and wake up." I begin to walk out of the bathroom when Julie suddenly grabs me by the arm.

"You better not take my warning as a joke," she says venomously, "you better stop talking to him or we're going to have a serious problem."

"As long as he knows it works both ways. You're his owner so you better train him," I say as I pull away from her and storm out of the restroom.

I got to English class five minutes late into what appeared to be the entire class changing seats. The class was now arranged into rows rather than groups. The universe was definitely on my side now that I didn't have to sit next to Landon anymore. He was sitting on the front corner near the door and I was placed in the middle back. There would be no communication attempts and Julie would get her wish.

I was brought into this world alone and I have no problem staying alone for the rest of the semester. Landon would be dead to me.

Friday

It was Valentine's day.

The halls were filled with loud chatter and people holding onto balloons and bouquets of flowers. I watch as Eric gives Maggie a bouquet of pink roses and baby's breath with a light pink cellophane wrap. He also hands her a box of heart shaped chocolates and some kind of small gift bag. They hug, they talk, and then they kiss.