Chapter 28 - Trials

Wednesday

Wednesday

The words I was reading were becoming jumbled and I could no longer concentrate anymore. The breathing by my neck was too much and it was starting to tickle, causing me to reach up and scratch myself. His heart was beating against my back as I was practically nestled in between his legs. I was trapped within his legs and his hands were tracing shapes on my skin.

"I can't concentrate when you do that," I mumble.

He chuckles and decides to tease me even further. He moves my hair out of the way from my shoulders and plants a soft kiss in between the space where the neck and shoulders meet. I feel my body tense up and goosebumps rise.

"Just relax," he whispers.

My heart begins to hammer and my breathing is rapid. His fingertips are trailing from my hands and up to my forearms and upper arms. I don't even know what part of the page I was reading or what was going on. I could only focus on his touch.

"You smell nice, what is that? Vanilla?" I nod, unable to form audible words and instead I just hum. "Your skin is so soft too." He moves his fingers down to my legs. I made the bold choice to wear shorts today and he was having a field day touching my exposed skin.

"Why are you so touchy today?" I ask, trying to pry myself out of his hold, but he barely nudges.

"Can't I just embrace and live in the moment with my girl?" He says jokingly.

"My girl?" I turn around to face him. He looks directly into my eyes and down to my lips. He nods.

"You don't like that title?" He hums.

"I do, but you haven't asked me yet."

"Layla." He tucks strands of hair behind my ear and cups my chin with his other hand. "It would be the greatest honor of making you my girlfriend. It would complete my life and serve the purpose of wanting to live. I want to be the first person you want to look for when you're lost, I want to be the first person you think of when you wake up, and to ask for help when you're in need. I want to be the first and last person you desire to be with."

"You really mean that?" I gasp as he confesses his feelings.

"I really do. I don't want anyone else, but you. I have fallen for you and I don't think I can do anything about that except to make you officially mine." He's serious when he says it, there's no trace of humor or joking around. It makes my heart come to a complete stop just hearing how a boy is talking about his feelings towards me. It's a new territory for me and all I could do is stare directly into Landon's eyes as I try to keep up with him. "Layla, will you be my girlfriend?"

It's like my tongue is tied in knots and my mind becomes scrambled so I end up nodding instead. My eyes start to water and his eyes soften as he gazes down at me. He sits me right up and makes me face him directly instead. He puts his right hand on my face and wipes away the tears that managed to fall.