Chapter 30 - Proximity

Tuesday

Tuesday

I heard giggling, but it stopped shortly after I did. Then I heard it again. I slowly opened my eyes against the bright sun that was peering through the partial open blinds. I blinked a couple of times and I sat up.

"Happy Birthday Layla!" Maggie yells and dives straight at me. She tackles me down on the bed and embraces me tightly.

I chuckle at Maggie's enthusiasm. "Thanks Maggie."

"We brought you a cake," she says pulling away and that's when I notice that Julie was also standing there, holding a yellow cake with white piping and lettering.

"I didn't know your favorite cake flavor since I never see you eat cake, but I got you vanilla with strawberry filling!" Maggie says as she takes out a lighter out of her jean jacket pocket.

"It was her idea," Julie says sheepishly, "she dragged me from my bed at six a.m."

"Only because we have so many things to get through today and there will be no time tomorrow!" Maggie says defensively. She lights the candles on the cake and Julie brings it closer to me.

They both begin to sing 'Happy Birthday' and I get to blow on the candles after.

"So what did you wish for?" Maggie asks with her curious little smile.

"I can't say," I say with a snort.

"Probably to get laid or something," Julie mutters and laughs.

"Oh shut up!" I say and almost throw a pillow at her.

"It's seven-thirty you should be getting ready for the day ahead of you!" Maggie says as she tries to yank the covers off of me.

"There's no school, why can't I just sleep in?" I groan. School was officially over and our last day was last Friday. Today was May 27th, and tomorrow was graduation day. It would be the last time I see this stupid school, Kenzie's idiotic friends, and I would officially be in New York by Friday morning.

It felt like everything was going by so fast and I was trying my hardest to keep up with everything coming at me.

"Because Landon has us following a specific schedule that he made," Maggie says with a cheeky grin.

"Landon has a schedule?" I ask, confusion written on my face. They both nod.

"So what's next?" I ask.

"You have to get ready because we're going out for breakfast," Maggie says with a smile, "You have to look cute."

I finally push the covers off of me and get out of bed. "So what am I supposed to wear?"

"Go into the shower and I'll pick the outfit for you."

I was headed to the boy's cabin after the girls got me dressed and ready to go for the big day ahead. Maggie forced me to wear a light blue romper with thin straps and a white cardigan over it. It was a nice sunny day out and I paired it with some sandals that I only wore on these days.