Chapter 25 - Connection

Monday

Monday

I was sitting on the floor in my room while I was texting Landon. My laptop was out and I was in the middle of watching a movie when he started sending me texts, I wasn't fully paying attention so I had the movie as background noise. The notification popping up on the right hand corner of the screen made me pause the movie real quick while I was waiting for Landon's reponse. I exit out of the full screen and go straight into my email app.

Your DNA results are available to view in your account. Log into your account now.

Holy shit. The results were finally here. I quickly clicked onto the direct link to log in and typed in my email and password. I see on the dashboard the results are on file and I feel a swarm of nerves sit in my stomach. I scroll down past the introduction and find the pie chart that shows where parts of my ancestry come from. It shows all sorts of regions and I click on the U.S map which further shows highlighted areas.

Those highlighted areas are states and what countries have direct links to people in my ancestor tree. When I hover over them, not many of them are alive and are mostly fourth or fifth cousins that are way out of the direct lineage to me, until I reach one specifically in New York. When I further click on it, it says that our shared DNA is more than half. Meaning they might be closely related to me, most likely a grandparent or uncle. There isn't a whole lot of information on them except for a birthdate and a place of birth.

I searched through the private investigator's number that Vincent shared with me in our texts, and I sent him a quick message about some information I came across and if it would be helpful for him. About a couple minutes later, he answered with a yes and that I should send him my results. So I send him all the information I have on hand and just wait until he has something for me.

Later that night, Landon came over for dinner to which my mom insisted that we invite him over. It had been a while since he was over for dinner and that was before Julie forbade him to speak to me. My mom still had no clue what happened last week except for the fact that she heard Julie's dad was arrested when he was found in the outskirts of the town. I had no intention of telling her how that happened or how involved we were with his arrest. So we were all sitting down eating some new pasta that my mom learned a recipe from.

"Since Layla isn't going to school, what are you doing, Landon?" My mom asks.

Landon clears his throat and drops his fork on his plate. "Howard wants me to work at the station or at least do something with him over the summer before I venture out into the real world," he says.

"Oh how cool. Are you looking for something specifically?"

Landon shrugs. "Not really. The twins have also offered some kind of internship with their dad's office. Since their dad owns a big tech company."