Chapter 10 - Polar

Monday

Monday

I was once again waiting for Landon in the lobby of the hospital to finish signing the discharge papers for Julie. She was finally cleared by the doctor after thirteen days of monitoring her, and would be able to come home today. Well she would be able to go home with Landon and get settled in. I'm sure it was a relief to finally be able to go home and not be stuck in the hospital for another month or so, in her case it was almost a year and a half.

This would be the first time that I would get to meet her officially. I was close to meeting her a couple times before, but insisted that she only wanted to be around Landon before seeing anyone else from town. So here I was holding a bouquet of flowers for Landon and waiting for Julie to come down from her room.

Landon finally comes over to where I am sitting and sits down next to me. "Thanks again for coming with me even though it was last minute," he says sheepishly.

I shrug. "It's not a problem, I was just watching an old movie," I say, offering him a smile.

"Landon?" A soft feminine voice calls out from a distance. My eyes collide with bright green ones that stare intently at Landon like he was her possession.

So this was Julie. Her hair was rather long and straight, down to her mid back, and it was a very dark shade of black. Her eyes were so cat-like and a bit intimidating like she could see my every move. She was still thin from the lack of nutrition that the hospital food had been giving her and I could see that her face was a bit skeletal looking, but nonetheless she was still beautiful. She had a dark scar on the top part of her forehead that was in the process of becoming lighter but nothing else made her seem less attractive. I got to say, Landon had a really pretty girlfriend.

I couldn't help but feel a tad bit insecure, I was over here feeling like shit with my dizziness and blurry visions while she was standing up straight and proud like nothing had ever happened to her.

"Hey, all set?" Landon asks, standing up and grasping onto her hand. She interlocks her hand with his and finally turns to look at me. I could see her jade eyes take a quick glance over my appearance and then offer a shy smile.

"Hi, I'm Julie," she says, "you must be Layla."

I feel my shoulders slouch a bit with relief. I nod and offer her a smile as well. "Landon never stopped talking about you and here you are."

Julie laughs and Landon scoffs a bit while his cheeks turn a light shade of pink. "Is that so?" she asks with a raised eyebrow, clearly teasing her boyfriend.

"Come on, let's go to Patsy's," he says and begins to lead the way out of the hospital doors.

"And then he got like poison ivy from those bushes!" Julie says laughing while Landon is rolling his eyes as she talks about their encounter with a bear in the forest.