Chapter 24 - Ice

Monday

Monday

Sage breaks the kiss before I even have time to react or digest what is happening. "I'm sorry," he quickly adds. He stammers and doesn't look at me. "I-I didn't mean to." He sighs.

"Sage," I say, "what's going on?"

"I like you, but I won't pursue you," he says.

"You do?" I ask quietly. I did develop a small crush on Sage at the beginning when Landon was still with Julie. He was treating me so well and giving me the attention that Landon lacked, but that crush diminished when I realized that Sage was never around after he left and I didn't know him that well either. It was a silly crush.

He nods. He looks at me like I'm going to snap at him, but I remain quiet for him to continue. "I sort of liked you when I started being around you more, but I didn't want to say anything because you seemed more into Landon. Landon is one of my best friends and I can't take you away from him."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I ask, my heart was hammering in my chest. What would I tell Landon? Would I even tell him? What if Sage doesn't want me to say anything?

"Because I'm never here," he says with a dry chuckle, "and I assumed that Landon would pursue you no matter what. So I wanted to admire you from a distance instead until I couldn't anymore."

I was speechless. I thought I was imagining things with Sage's treatment with me, but I guess I wasn't that far off. "Maybe things would be different in a different dimension if Landon stayed with Julie and you were always here. But my heart is with Landon and we both need each other right now," I say, offering him a sympathetic smile.

"I hate how nice you are even when rejecting me," he says with a chuckle, "I will be watching Landon closely." He says with a joking undertone.

"He's going to need you closeby."

"I'm always going to watch over you two. You're a part of our close knit family now."

I smile at the thought of having Sage close to help us out with anything. He was helping me find my dad after all. "You know I have to tell Landon," I say.

"Don't worry. I'll tell him," he says looking down in a shameful way, "I'll come clean."

Tuesday

Landon came to pick me up for school just like he said. I assumed Sage hadn't spoken to him yet, since he didn't bring anything up or looked upset. I was still nervous regardless of the fact that Sage would tell Landon what he did.

Everyone attended school normally like nothing happened the day prior. I was surprised to see Julie walk into first period and greet me like we never had bad blood between us. Maggie was her usually preppy self and talked about the gossip that her cheermates told her during practice. They both also included Dylan into the conversation and he didn't even suspect a thing about what we went through.