Chapter 16 - Escape

Friday

Friday

Vincent was an interesting person to talk to. He shared so many stories about him with the twins and what places they've been to. I guess it answered my many questions about their whereabouts and how they were allowed to just go off on adventures like they always do.

"So when are you leaving?" I ask him.

"Today, and I probably won't be back until I have another reason to," he says with a shrug.

"I probably wouldn't come back if I were you," I say, "I would love to leave this place."

"You should come with us," Sage butts in. He gives me a smirk.

"I don't think my mom would like that," I say thinking about how she would act. I know she would be very pissed off at me and would even threaten to move us again. I was tired of moving around and much less the school year was coming to an end. It would be a waste of time and effort.

"We always go on the road more often than you think so you should join us once," Sage says. Vincent nods along with him.

"I'll think about your offer," I say with a smile.

"It's getting late, do you want me to drop you off now?" Sage asks as he flags down the waitress.

I nod. "Sure, I don't want you guys to miss out on more of the party."

"That party was lame," Vincent says, "mostly because I didn't know anyone."

"Nah you're right," Sage says. "My brother was the only one having fun."

"Here's my part," Vincent says, passing a twenty dollar bill from his wallet, "I'm going to take a leak." He announces and goes off to the restrooms.

Sage looks at me from across the table. "So why were you upset?"

I sigh and push my empty milkshake glass away from me. "I overheard the things that Julie and Kenzie were saying about me and Maggie."

He furrows his brows. "They were talking about you guys? What were they saying?"

I shake my head. "It doesn't matter."

"No," Sage says, "tell me."

"Let's just drop it okay."

He grabs my hand, reaching across the table and looks at me with concern written on his face. "Please," he says with a pleading look.

"Kenzie thinks that something was going on between Landon and I while Julie was in the hospital and Julie believes her. So she's going to force Landon to stop our friendship and ruin my friendship with him and Maggie," I say, biting my lip as I wait for Sage to say that I'm lying or misunderstanding something.

Sage is quiet for a bit and then sighs. "Julie gets very jealous and tries to intimidate other girls from getting too close. She prohibits him from having girls as friends, other than the ones that she approves of," he says, "meaning she doesn't approve of you."