Chapter 22 - Trouble

Friday

Friday

Julie had pulled me to the side, outside of the cafeteria doors just as I was headed in. "We need to talk," she says.

"About?" I ask, a bit annoyed at the fact that she's been avoiding me and all of a sudden she wants to speak to me.

"About us," she says with a pleading look. "I think we should just officially end things."

I look at her and try to decipher the look in her eyes, perhaps a lie or some kind of test she has for me. "Why all of a sudden?" I ask, unsure of the direction of this conversation.

"I had a long talk with Layla and I realized that it's not worth putting myself through this or you and making a big deal out of nothing. No matter what I try to do to make things right, you will never stop thinking about Layla," she says. Her lip trembles.

I vowed to never make a girl cry, but when things like this happened, it was out of my control. "Julie," she raises her hand, interrupting me and continues.

"I wanted to get things straight with her," she says, "I need help." She looks at me with a look I can't seem to describe. She's hiding something and she's not going to tell me.

"We can work this through," I say, grabbing her hands. "I can help you get through it all." She gives me a forced pity smile and pulls her hands away from my grasp.

"It's too late, Landon. I've already made my decision. You deserve the world and I'm sorry that I couldn't give it to you," she says with a sniffle, "as much as I want to take back my words and be with you until the end, I can't. It'll only cause more problems down the road."

"You don't know that," I say.

"I do."

"Well I'm not going to jump into a relationship because you said so," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

She snorts. "Of course I don't expect you to. But I do want you to talk to Layla and apologize for everything that she was put through. I didn't mean to drag her into any unnecessary drama. I now realize that I did more harm after learning about what she was going through."

I nod. "I will see what I can do to make up for our friendship. Not speaking for weeks makes it a little hard to start small talk out of nowhere."

"I also want you to be aware of something else too," she says, growing a bit serious.

I hear yelling coming from inside the cafeteria and I look through the door's windows to see what chaos has erupted. I could only see a large group of students huddling around people and others yelling to fight.

"Landon," she calls out but I could only focus on what was happening around Layla's lunch table. "What's going on?" Julie asks as she tries to look inside.

Security guards and teachers run down the hall behind us and barge into the cafeteria. I follow right behind them and stop by the entrance as I watch the scene unfold. I see Eric throwing punches at Miguel and Dylan tackling Ryan. Some of the football players are trying to push everyone around. That's when I noticed the familiar brunette.