Chapter 21 - Distractions

Saturday

Saturday

It was the following morning when the chaos fell short. My mom came home around midnight and I spooked her when I sat in the living room waiting for her to come home. She wasn't mad, she was just disappointed and stressed from the events. She went out for a drive until she didn't recognize any of the street signs anymore. She said she had to turn back because she remembered that she was with me and couldn't just up and leave like she used to. Wasn't sure how to feel about that last part but I didn't take offense to it, since I'm also planning on leaving this town. Regardless if my mom would approve or not.

She also didn't know that Sage was deep asleep in my room. I didn't tell her, and I also made sure that she wouldn't see that he was in my room. His gigantic body was taking over my bed so I decided to just sit on an ottoman next to my window and read books until my mind couldn't comprehend words anymore. I didn't want to kick him out nor sleep next to him, it was weird and frankly we weren't at that level of friendship to be having sleep overs but I insisted on having him over because I would probably panic and die from being in the dark alone.

It was an exaggeration, but that's what it felt like.

Sage was now driving me to the diner to get some food since my mom wanted to sleep in today. I let her know that I would be going out to get some food. She hesitated for a second but surprisingly let me go. She was starting to cut down on the helicopter parentalship little by little and I was becoming relieved. I felt like I had more freedom and it was all thanks to her being distracted by her new friends at the bakery.

The diner wasn't as packed but that didn't mean people didn't waste time to stare at us the minute I got out of Sage's car. "These people never have a life," Sage says with a shake of his head.

We sit down at a table near the jukebox and get a clear view of the people coming in. "What are you going to get?" I ask, my stomach grumbling for some french toast.

"I'm thinking of the confetti pancakes," he says.

"You like sweet stuff like that?" I ask, making a face.

"It's my cheat day," he says with a shrug, "I'm also going to be loading up on protein. Can't lose these gains." He flexes his arm up, showing off his muscular arm.

He manages to get a laugh out of me and I shake my head at how he's starting to become similar to his brother. The one he likes to say he doesn't share anything in common, personality wise. They may be different to an extent but they're very similar in other ways.

The waitress takes our order and Sage surprises me even more by ordering eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and extra pieces of sausage on the side. He wasn't lying when he said he needed to keep up with his protein intake.

"So you want to come by the cabin?" He asks.

I nod my head, taking a sip of the orange juice. "I finally got the DNA kit. I think I want to do it today."