Symptoms - Peter Parker (Romantic)

"Hey, n/n, are you okay?" Peter asked.

I looked over to him, blinking excessively.

"Hm?" I said.

"You look like you're about to fall asleep," Peter whispered.

I glanced to the front where the teacher was teaching.

"I've just been really tired lately," I said quietly.

Peter nodded and grabbed my hand under the table. I held onto it, trying not to fall asleep. Once class was finished, we walked through the hallways to the cafeteria. I rubbed my temple, trying to get rid of my growing headache.

"Are you alright?" Peter asked me.

"Yeah, I've just got a headache," I said. "I probably need some water."

"Do you want to sit outside today, then?" Peter asked. "Away from all the noise?"

I nodded and we went outside. I breathed in the fresh air and drank some water from my bottle. We sat down and I felt my eyelids begin to droop.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Peter asked.

"Peter, I said that I'm fine," I snapped.

Peter visibly recoiled and I felt bad.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to snap."

Peter took my hand.

"Can we get this checked out, please? Headaches and tiredness might be something else," Peter said.

"Okay," I sighed.

"Bruce can run some tests, if you'd like," Peter said.

I nodded, too tired to do anything else.

After school, Peter took me to the Avengers' Tower. I'd been there a few times before with Peter. Its inhabitants (aka the Avengers) liked me, so I wasn't too worried about walking its halls.

"Hello, Peter and y/n," Bruce said as we entered the medical lab.

Peter and I sat down at the desk and Bruce sat across from us. I held onto Peter's hand tightly, and he comfortingly stroked his thumb over the back of my hand.

"So, y/n, can you tell me about the symptoms you've been experiencing?" Bruce asked me.

"Well, I've been really tired lately," I said, "and I keep getting really bad headaches. I'm pretty sure it's not dehydration though, because I've been drinking a lot of water. I – uh... I've lost a lot of weight lately, actually, but I don't know why."

Bruce wrote it all down on his clipboard and stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"Okay, so I'm going to need to do some tests, if that's alright with you," Bruce said kindly. "I just need some blood so that I can see what the problem is. Right now, I think that it might be diabetes."

I blinked at him in surprise.

"D-diabetes?" I asked.

Bruce nodded.

"I won't know for sure until after the tests, but the symptoms are there," he said.

"But – but... I'm healthy! I eat healthy, I exercise, I – I..."

I trailed off, not knowing what else to say. Peter squeezed my hand and rubbed my arm.

"Diabetes isn't always caused from eating unhealthily, or not exercising," Bruce said. "It can be genetic, too, and in all honesty, we don't really know exactly where it comes from sometimes."

I nodded and Peter comfortingly rubbed the back of my hand. Bruce took my blood and Peter stayed with me, talking to me about small things.

"I'll see you in a few days with the results, okay?" Bruce said.

I nodded and smiled at Bruce before Peter led me out of the lab.

"You'll be fine, you know," Peter said softly. "We'll make sure that you're okay. If you need to go on a diet or something, I'll go on the diet with you. I'll do anything, y/n, to make you feel better about it. It's not your fault, and –"

I cut my boyfriend off with a kiss.

"Thank you, Peter," I said quietly. "I love you."

Peter's mouth curved upwards in a goofy smile.

"I love you too, y/n."