Ch 1: Welcome, Isekai Losers!

You know, we live in a time where the internet is still a growing world and the majority of people don't appreciate it to the fullest. It's mostly used for shallow and boring things like social media, and watching videos on MeTube. It has yet to be explored by most people, especially in rural areas such as the one I live in.

You see, unlike most of my peers around here, I've spent countless nights reaching the depths of the internet, staying up until four in the morning on forums, watching anime and playing all sorts of obscure indie games. I soon began to neglect my actual life so I could focus on my internet life.

I was particulary fond of the idea of fantasy worlds - magical worlds with monsters, knights, elves and whatnot. Watching fantasy-themed anime like Konoscuba, Underlord and Re:One or playing fantasy-themed videogames like World of Warlords or HolyQuest Online became some of my main hobbies.

I turned into a bit of an outcast because of my obsession. I wasn't really awkward around people or anything silly like that. I had friends and could've done basic and boring things with them just fine. I simply chose to stay home and explore the world of the world wide web.

At one point I discovered something called text roleplaying. It was a way for people to create, shape and then share their own personal fantasy worlds with people that shared their passion on the internet. Text roleplaying offered a kind of freedom and intimacy regular fantasy videogames and books couldn't. I mean, the simple fact that you didn't have to follow a set path and were completely in control of the story made this concept so intriguing!

I immediately fell in love with text roleplaying. I downloaded an app specifically made for it, joined a few campaigns and started typing. I got to create my own characters, live them in fantasy worlds and go on adventurers with other people who played their own unique characters!

It was fun to say the least, though as I became more invested in text roleplaying, something about the app began to bother me more and more: Almost no one on there was good at roleplaying!!

Maybe it was me simply asking for too much from strangers online, but I had the feeling that no one on there tried to make the stories interesting and actually keep up the illusion of a fantasy world.

Many of them were really egotistic, joining the campaigns only to live out their own fantasies of being the main character, not giving a damn about the others. There were also the creeps that went crazy every time a female player showed up in the campaign, and a good part of those girls seemed to enjoy the attention too, encouraging those idiots to continue.

This led to a huge amount of awkward erotic roleplaying that had absolutely nothing to do with the story and ruined it for the rest.

I quickly grew disappointed of text roleplaying and the toxic community surrounding it. Though the worst part were undoubtedly the people that led the campaigns or game masters as they were called.

Their stories were often shallow and their worlds poorly built. Not to mention how almost all of them usually abandoned their campaigns after a few days! Game masters also let the above mentioned types of players do what they did, effectively ruining their own stories. They had no sense of commitment at all!

Even though things weren't looking too great, I wouldn't give up on text roleplaying just yet. I tried countless other text roleplaying apps but all of them had the same issues.

However, I occasionally did run into individuals on these apps who actually wanted to roleplay properly and disliked those scumbags who ruined the experience just as much as I do.