Ch. 14: Showdown! Losers versus Monster Plant!

The streets of Lyugo are buzzing as people follow their morning routines and work for a living. Our heroes are no different.

"Here you go." Nanami places a small coin-filled bag on the metal tray on her counter. "2000 perun for the quests."

"Amazing." Ivan picks the bag up and starts counting the coins.

"2000 perun is fine but we could've easily taken another one or two of the 'kill 10 goblins' quests." Lynn crosses her arms, standing next to Ivan.

"Don't overwork yourself now." Nanami chuckles. "Also, by performing all those quests, you've gathered nearly enough fame to rank up to bronze!"

We gather experience (or exp) by training, going on quests or just killing things. On the other hand, completing guild approved quests gives us guild fame. Apparently that's the system they use to categorize adventurers in ranks. Adventurer ranks are there to sort them by power and credibility, it's a hierarchy of adventurers basically.

"Really?" Ivan looks up curiously. "That quickly? I thought ranking up would be harder."

"Do not be fooled by how easy it is to go from the lowest to the second-lowest rank, Ivan." Says Nanami. "While reaching bronze takes just a few weeks of hard work, reaching silver may take months. Any rank above that takes years of adventuring and extraordinary strength."

"I see.." Ivan nods, not seeming as confident anymore. "..Oh well, let's pick up a couple of goblin quests today as well and--"

"Ivan! Lynn!" A voice coming from the hallway leading into the main guild room panically calls out for them. They both turn to the door.

Moments after, Gabriel reaches the room. Out of breath, he pants for a while before finally speaking.

"...H-hurry...B...Barny is in trouble!" He utters before running out of the room again.

"Oh my." Nanami gasps with a confused expression.

Ivan and Lynn look at eachother, uncertain of what to think.

"Guess the goblins will have to wait.." Ivan says before rushing out of the room, followed by Lynn.

The two quickly rush through the building and make it to the streets where they soon catch up with Gabriel who was still running.

"What's happening??" Lynn asks while running next to Gabriel.

"After...you two...went to the guild to...collect the money..." Gabriel pants.

"Lan showed up and...said that planty went crazy!"

"Went crazy?" Ivan asks.

"That doesn't sound good." Lynn adds.

They immediately pick up the speed. Soon after they reach the street where Barnies shop is, noticing a small crowd gathering there.

"Excuse me- sorry- skyborn coming through." Ivan says as he moves through the crowd, followed by Lynn and Gabriel.

They finally reach the shop, finding it completely covered in vines, leafs and melons. Liana were coming out of the windows and countless cracks in the walls which weren't there yesterday. The green limbs of the plant started spreading even to neighbouring buildings, causing further panic.

"Oh no." Ivan utters in disbelief as he gazes upon what the shop has become.

Gabriel looks around, finally finding Lan who sat on the ground next to a wooden box. She was hugging her legs while worriedly looking at the house.

"Lan!" Gabriel shouts before rushing to her. She turns to him and quickly stands up.

"Gabriel! You finally came!" Lan cries out.