Vol 2. Chapter 7: Quiet Days in Lyugo

About a week passed since we defeated the pissy steam man under Nizren's hotspring. As promised, we received 50.000 perun for the quest which is a pretty juicy sum. We could live off of that money for about a month, but we decided to keep working and save the extra cash as an emergency fund. After all, lazing around, while tempting, isn't a good option right now. Yeah, that can wait until we get rid of the goblins.

Nizren was able to reopen her hot spring fairly quickly after the repairs on the building and the pipe system were complete. It became an instant hit with the adventurers, who longed for a relaxing hot bath a after a long day of murdering goblins. This was a huge boost for the Lyugo economy, too, since the adventurers now hoarded less of their goblin money. Nizren also gave quite a bit of her earnings back to the town as thanks for providing her with so many customers. Needless to say, we extended our time to find a permanent solution for the goblin issue.

Gabriel returned to working with Barny for the time being, I think. It's mostly just a front so he can train as much as possible with his girlfriend. The way I understood things, he was very unhappy with his performance in the cave and he needs to "hone his magical, physical and mental capabilities.", which is a weird way to put it. I'm sure he's working hard.

Lynn is back on the goblin grind. She mostly works alone these days, sometimes teaming up with Itten and his gang when there's a larger nest to clear. I don't see her much these days, she does occasionally pop through the door to check if I'm alive but leaves immediately after. She's also working hard.

Some might ask "Ivan, but why are you not out hunting goblins with Lynn?" and the answer's fairly simple. See, my body is covered in burns from head to toe and I can hardly move. Apparently, I was nearly cooked alive back in the thermal cave after jumping into the steam monster. After they carried me out, I was quickly patched up by Maya in the hot spring, and later received proper healing from Rishia, but neither her nor the other mages in Lyugo who possess healing magic are advanced enough to heal my injuries fully. Also, if I overdo it by putting my body under constant low-level healing magic, I can experience something called healing sickness, which would have the opposite effect on my body and worsen my injuries. Luckily, with Barny's medicine and periodical healing sessions with Rishia, my wounds should fully heal in another week or so.

As Ivan lied on his bed, gazing at the ceiling, two knocks came from the door.

Without waiting for a response, a girl enters the room, holding a wooden bowl and a book. She was tall and assertive, her short spiky hair a crimson red colour. She glared over at Ivan, yet her demeanour suggested concern.

"Hello Ira." Ivan, whose body was mostly covered in bandages, sighed quietly.

"I brought you some soup." she declared as she dragged a chair to his bedside and sat down. "I also found another book about a past skyborn. His name is Keyaru Takahashi. It's said that he's the founder of Nihonia, an island kingdom in the far north." she explained, placing the book on the nightstand.

Ira had taken it upon herself to take care of me while I was recovering. Originally I asked Lynn for help but she wasn't having any of it, saying something along the lines of "Take care of you? I have no desire to be your personal maid." which hurt a bit, so it was nice of Ira to step up and help me out. I offered to pay her of course, but she got mad, scolded me for about 5 minutes and then rejected the money.

I don't really need much attention, it was mostly just bringing me food and water as Gabriel was the one who brought me medicine. Ira still dropped in much more than she needed to. On one hand, it was nice being pampered and having company, but on the other, she forced me to read all the books she liked, and there were a lot.