Chapter 18

Sunflowers and Butterflies

Your eyes, worn out by time, linger on my heart. I will bend in the paws of a lion, chasing thy smile beneath an eternal vial. Your scent left a remnant on my bow's edge. I pressed its fine point against my heart until it bled your name and only your name. The earth is round. I shall find you in its corners. 

Whimpering for a lost warmth bears only lament; agonizing over the absence of affection and yearning for a gentle night's kiss. I was loved, I suppose. I was loved before I was born. I was loved.

The smell of the sweet cotton candy was slowly twisting within my nostrils as he joyfully tasted its palatable flavor. He then sniffed and wiped some drops of sweat lingering on his forehead. His eyes were sleepy.

"My mom used to buy me this pero hindi na ngayon. Sabi niya, I should focus on my studies. My mamita wants me to excel in math, science and english. Nang nasa Tataytay kami, I couldn't enjoy the ambiance there. My rich playmates always bully me kasi hindi ako nakakaintindi ng english noon," aniya habang taimtim na  ninanamnam ang matamis na labi ng pagkain. Basang-basa na ng pawis ang kanyang likod at halos balutin na ng dumi ang kanyang damit.

"Talaga? Maganda ba sa Tagaytay?" tanong ko naman.

"Hmm, oo."

"Talaga?" namamangha kong tanong.

"Hehe. Yes! Of course, there are a lot of pretty girls!" tugon niya na ikinalungkot ko naman.

Magaganda? Nagagandahan din ba siya sa akin?

"Talaga? May crush ka ba roon?" tanong ko ulit.

"Wala."

"Huh? Bakit?"

"Because I don't like them." He coughed a little and gazed at the tall and verdant grass. "My mommy and mamita are very strict!" 

This kind of scenery with him was full of warmth and comfort. It was so simple yet filled with heavenly tranquility. I would wait for him here at this school, and he would come immediately after his summer class with his mamita.

Together, we sat down on the vast field covered with leafy grass, paired with the waves of the white clouds and the ocean shade of the sky. We both stared at the dancing leaves. 

"Buti ka pa!" sagot ko kung kaya naman ibinaling niya ang kanyang mapupungay na mga mata sa akin.

"Bakit?" tanong niya. Bakas ang pagkalito sa kanyang maamong mukha.

"Kasi, may mommy ka. Iniwan na kasi ako ni mama."

"Huwag kang mag-alala, magiging mommy mo rin naman ang mommy ko," wika niya at matamis na ngumiti.

"Huh? Aampunin niyo na ako?"

"Hindi! My mommy said that I can have my family when I am old and responsible na. She wants me to bring her a good lady," sagot niya at tumingin sa langit na agad ko namang ginaya.