Chapter 26

Eyes against Eyes 

You see things, and you perceive what they mean; yet, in fear, you turn a blind eye to the truth. It was fear that killed joy. 

It was not, and will never be, easy to run away from such a glimpse.

I did not know that Dos looked at me with such warmth from the beginning. Perhaps, I chose to ignore it all. All of it. And when his eyes drew back from the frame light of our house, his brows pursed in confusion, his voice husky and desperate, I knew I had slipped into an intimacy from which I know I will never recover. I am truly stuck, captivated by those dazzling visions. I did not loathe it nor regret it; I was just in extreme awe and sorrow that I could never fit into his league. 

"Talaga, Jane? Nakausap mo talaga si Dos?"

A sly grin tugged along the girl's face as she directed her gaze to Jane. 

"Huwag kang maingay, Sarah!"

"Kailan?"

"Kahapon lang! Ang g'wapo niya talaga! Ang ganda pa ng kanyang boses!"

I knew how they looked at Dos, like he was an irresistible lure along the shore; like a drowsy fire on a midsummer night; or the aftertaste of a wine after a long, arduous day. He was like an eagle soaring over the horizon, watching the people enjoying the breeze of the ocean air. More like, he was the warmth given off by the burnt wood in the chimney hall amidst a winter season. He was not out of the ordinary. He was not mediocre or plain. He was beyond the beauty of a tale and a dale.

I coughed, softly, preventing the scream of pique in my lungs. I walked towards our classroom. It was indeed difficult to forget such an event when it was deeply ingrained in my mind. There was nothing more to say.

The birds hummed, the trees danced, yet my mind was motionless, unable to move forward from the glimpse of ache. I was walking, yet it felt as if I was caught up in a dream of illusions. Strangely, some bare hands swept me away from a hazy delusion. I turned my face back to those hands, which were now holding onto my arms. I looked at the owner of it. There, I saw a pair of raging visions. They were dark as the night, sharp as a vulture's. I jerked my gaze away when I realized who it was. Jedd

Nakaangat ang isa niyang kilay at halatang naghihintay siya ng salita mula sa aking bibig. Nanatili akong tahimik. 

"Narinig ko ang usapan nina Jane at Sarah," aniya.

Ngumisi siya at inakbayan ako. Ang mga mata kong tinupok ng lumbay ay agad na napalitan ng inis. Lumayo ako kay Jedd at tinapunan siya ng matalim na tingin. Muli na naman niya akong hinila at itinuon ang kanyang paningin sa isang ispesipikong direksyon. Sa hindi mawaring dahilan ay sinundan ko ang kanyang paningin. Agad akong napalunok nang matagpuan ang matatalas na mga mata ng aking mga kaibigan.

Alissa was crossing her arms, with her eyes that resembled a cat's. It felt as though they were observing me. I saw Patricille and Gwen with their worried faces.

Bumuntong-hininga ako at yumuko.

"Hershey, huh?" Alissa gazed at me. 

There were students passing us by, as if we were a wind. I looked at my friends and smiled, reluctantly.