Chapter 33

The Silence of His Heart 

"I thought you already knew my birthday since I wrote it in my letters before."

It was a knife of ache when I saw the confusion and uncertainty in his eyes. I forgot a lot of things that were related to him. Like an eagle flying over the horizon without looking back, forgetting the destination she once inhabited. Like a day leaving the dusk of nightfall. And when I heard the silence of his heart, I heard my name, my name alone.

And so, I needed to speak the truth about myself. Because he is the silence of my heart, the in-between thoughts of my mind, the beauty in every word I have spoken, and the truth of all my fiction.

This fast-paced world is beginning to move swiftly. And there, Tuesday's rays flashed before my eyes. This was the day where I would attend an evening celebration. I will see Dos in his flamboyant suit.

"ALANNAH." 

There was a soft voice that echoed near my ear. I gasped as I looked at the person who was standing beside me. 

"Kuwentuhan muna tayo?" Ngumiti si Patricille. 

I crossed my arms. "Tungkol saan?" 

"Tungkol sa iyong buhay pag-ibig." Higit pang lumaki ang ngiti sa kanyang labi. 

Humagikhik siya at hindi na nag-abala pang pakinggan ang aking isasambit. Agad niyang hinila ang aking kamay at dinala sa klinika ng aming paaralan. Sa kalagitnaan ng aming paglalakad ay namataan ko ang aking mga kaibigang nakaupo at tahimik na naghihintay sa aking presensya. 

Namasdan ko ang pag-ngisi ni Jedd at aking nadinig ang mahina nitong pagsipol. 

"Yo, Alannah baby," matamis na wika ni Jedd at kumindat. Ngumuso ako upang itago ang aking pagkagulat.

"Time to share some tea, Al," saad ni Gwen. Kumunot ang aking noo. 

I scattered my vision around the surroundings. The trees were as green as emeralds. The benches, which were quite worn out by time, remained still and brownish. There was nothing I loved more in life than watching how nature goes by in the mid-rush of the world. I nonchalantly closed my eyes as the wind whistled gently. The sun struck its rays before us, and there, I felt the warmth against my wood-kissed skin.

I bit my lip and arched my eyebrows, allowing them to notice my confusion.

A tiny sigh echoed around us. I instantly diverted my eyes to Alissa, who was impatiently waiting for my story.

"May dapat ba akong sabihin?" malumanay kong wika. 

Hapon na at nais ko nang umuwi ngunit hindi ko inakalang masasalang ako sa nagbabagang mantika. Ang kanilang mga titig ay mariin at mistulang isang apoy.  Umubo si Alissa at mariing pinagmasdan ang aking mukha. 

"Alannah, nasisiguro kong seryoso si Dos sa iyo," panimula niya. "Anong nangyari kahapon?" 

His name, his name alone, has made my heart scream like a lion. Something like a vulture's hunger bore inside me. The dusty wind in my hair, the sun's glamorous wane, and the trees' grin shuddered everything that my soul hides within my eyes. His name alone has sown the seed that never bloomed in me before. How could this happen in a miniscule second? Was it because of my insanity? Or was it because I knew, I knew exactly how drunk I am when it comes to his salt-rose lips, topaz desires, and golden lights in his eyes?