Chapter 22

When the Heart Moves

How peculiar it is to feel the weight of one's silence. I could feel the deaf whisper of his soul, the power of his solemnity, and the blindness of his passion. 

It felt as though I was drowning in the balmy clouds. His delicate arms were latched onto my body while transcending every inch of his devotion. More. More. More. His embrace was temperate, homely, and serene. No in-betweens. Just us. Just the two of us. I almost convinced myself that this was nothing but a vivid dream, that my ecstasy was drugged by my illusions. Yet, this was real. This was the truth. There was a battle within me, something akin to a battle of morals and exhilaration. I was decapitated by such emotions. Let me not know what is right and wrong. Let me fall into this madness. Let me fall onto these arms, like a bird's feather plucked by someone's hands. 

This was my safe zone. 

Pakiwari ko'y wala na itong hangganan. Tila ba nag-isang dibdib na ang mga tala at ang ulap upang tuluyan naming madama ang tanglaw ng aming damdamin. Wala na akong ibang maisip kung hindi ang kanyang yapos. Nababaliw na nga ba ako?

My eyes, my dear eyes, will always seek his eternal warmth. 

"Hah! Tama na!" 

I squinted my eyes. I forced my hands to push him away from me. It was only a minuscule force, yet it felt as if I had degraded him with my hands. My eyes shivered in shame, disgraced by my grim-faced shadow. Though it did not seem as if I were angry from his view, I remained still, contemplating whether I was right or wrong. My face grew warm as I stole a glance at his beauty. I was, perhaps I have always been, a fallen flower when it comes to his presence. 

Hinayaan ko ang aking sariling yapusin siya! Ano nga ba ang pumasok sa isipan ko upang tuwirang yapusin ang bawat hibla ng kanyang apoy? Bakit ninais kong magpalamon sa nagbabaga niyang mga kamay? Bakit hinayaan kong madarang ang sarili kong katawan sa init na taglay niya? Marahil ay nakulong na ako sa aking mga pantasya. Subalit, nadama ko ang paglundag ng walang humpay na ligaya sa kaibuturan ng aking puso. Nagpadakip ako sa umaalab kong emosyon. Datapwat, lubha kong nasilayan ang paraisong matagal ko nang ninanais.

Ako'y nahihiwagaan sa ligayang aking dinaramdam. 

Dumagundong ang kanyang hagikhik kung kaya naman agad akong napatingin sa kanya. Matalim ang aking mga mata habang pinagmamasdan ang pagguhit ng ngiti sa kanyang mapupulang labi. Saglit na nagningning ang paligid nang ibaon ko ang aking paningin sa kanyang maamong mukha. 

His flamboyant hair, his refreshing smile, the fusion of his everlasting adoration within his brown eyes, the thickness of his eyebrows, his chiseled jaw, and his upturned nose were nothing but earthly possessions, yet here I am, being enchanted by mundane things. Was I drawn to his irises? Or was I blown away by his voice? Which is which? 

Batid kong halos matunaw na ang mga bituin dahil sa apoy na hatid ng aming mga mata. Kung panaginip man ito'y huwag sana akong gisingin pa ng mabangis na mundo.

"Bakit ka tumatawa?" tanging iyon lamang ang aking nasambit.

His gaze was on mine. His feet, as if they were struck by lightning, began to move. He drew himself nearer and nearer, until it was close enough to hear the growl of flame buried inside my eyes. I quivered as my eyes fell on his wind-loosened hair. I knew, beneath me, that my breath was not at peace.

"That was an embrace," he exclaimed joyfully. "Miracles do exist." His smile widened.