Chapter 20

He and My Loneliness

Was there a grave in which dead love sprung back to life? Was there a departure that was meant to ricochet back into a void embrace? 

I could speak the language he taught me, yet I remained silent. 

Love. Love. Love.

This was not what I had planned; the bravery I had practiced in the back of my mind came to nothing. I could remember the somberness engraved in his dazzling eyes.

"A pain reliever," he says. Was I too weak to need somebody's presence to kiss my loneliness away? Was I? 

Unknowingly, I drew my eyes to his face. He was gazing at the ceiling, his eyes covered in wonder. I gasped and breathed silently. 

Dos, I almost whispered. 

Matapos ang saglit na ensayo ng The Fourth ay pumasok na sina Bryce at Patricille sa  silid na kinaroroonan namin. Nilingon ako ni Bryce kung kaya naman nagtaka ako. Ngumiti siya at kumaway sa mga kaibigan ko.

"Oh my gosh! Kamusta ang mini date niyo?" tanong ni Gwen.

Tumawa naman si Pat at umiling na lamang. Napangiti rin ako. All the more, I am now free. Destiny had pinched me back to reality.

"We're not yet official!" Bryce exclaimed, and chuckled.

Patricille laughed and shook her head. I am one of the fighters who battled against the vast cartridges of unrequited devotion, but, unfortunately, I did not succeed. I was beheaded silently by the bullets of daydreams. I clashed all my wondrous fantasies with someone's gentleness. Until this moment, I had been a slave to affection, earnestly yearning for someone's warmth. I had not changed, nor so well. On a strange, peculiar road called devotion, anyone can be lost, shattered in pieces. My ache was inexcusable to loathe the person who had not come to love me. As the bereaved glass stained my heart, the walls of my illusions began to exile my made-believes. I first began to understand my place here. I was hopeful to begin with. I kept on haunting a lost presence. I beg and beg for a home to shelter my slavery. It was only a memory of happiness, only a vial of memory. Yet, it was so beautiful that it put me in a fetal position. Until this time, I was helpless and void of warmth. I have seen him now. His eyes, which blossomed with such desires, made me feel like I was not negligible. It was enough. I found the demigod whose heart was as mellow as the rays of the glorious sun.

His eyes were the dawn, while mine were the dusk. He is the sun, while I am the moon. Without him, I could not dim my eyes with such buoying light. I might lose such a trail of happiness; I might become a lost world. 

"Shh! Magiging girlfriend mo rin naman siya! Iyon ang ending!" wika ni Gwen. Tumawa sina Pat at Bryce.

Hah.

I caressed my chest. I gulped. The silence of my heart was my only relief. I could not believe it: they lavished praise on the lovebirds. A hint of a smile was about to appear on my lips. Yet, there was a sound of slashing in my mind, as if a knife had wallowed my nerves. Without a reason to, I turned to Dos. For a second, our eyes held, and I felt a grin beneath my chest. I could smile lavishly. I could die of euphoria. I could have distracted myself by jerking my gaze away from him, yet I did not. I wanted to look at him, as if I were telling him how I had lost all those rusty butterflies I had felt in Bryce's presence. I wanted to speak with him through my visions, as if I were uttering all the goodness in life. I was shameless for a moment until he spoke eloquently.