Chapter 37

Sea and You 

I loved the ocean. I loved the sky. I loved the deepest reaches of the horizon, which no man could ever touch. I loved everything that screamed tranquility.

I do not know why and how I came to love the brush of the morning light when I always dreamed of leaving its bright rays and eloping myself with the waning moon. I do not know why I came to love the fresh breeze of sunflowers when all I adored before was the sophisticated misery of spilled liquor and the grayish ash of cigarettes. I do not know why I came to love every minute of new days when all I wished before was to vanish from this stigmatizing paradise. I do not know how and why I came to love everything when it was all nothing to me before. All I know is that I love someone who made me see things I never saw before. 

My entire weekday revolved around the chaotic shooting of our trailer. We went back and forth by the beach and at the house of one of our classmates. Wala kaming ibang ginawa kung hindi tapusin ang shooting sapagkat wala na rin kaming sapat na oras pa para mag-aksaya lamang ng mga gawain. 

"Stephie, anong oras ka susunduin ni Dos?" Umalingawngaw ang boses ni lola pagkapasok na pagkapasok niya pa lang sa aking kuwarto. Bumangon ako at inayos ang aking buhok bago pa man sumagot. 

"10:30 a.m. po siguro, momma. Hindi ka po ba talaga sasama? Kasama naman po namin sina Kuya Uno at Alexis," tugon ko. Ngumiti siya at inayos ang kanyang daster. 

"Hindi, panonoorin ko kasi 'yong paborito kong pelikula," aniya sa pinakabanayad na tono. Marahan akong tumango at ngumiti. 

"Sige po, momma. Uuwian na lang po kita ng pasalubong." 

"Alright. Breakfast is ready!" wika niya. Muli ay tumango ako. 

The day was nothing out of the ordinary. I ate my meal, took a shower, wore some casual clothes, and fixed my aura. It seemed like it was just some usual routine a teenager would do, but for me, this was a moment of everything and an earth-shattering time for my sanity. It felt as though this was the prime of my life. Time slowed down, and the morning light kissed me gently with its brightest glow. For the first time ever, I took a turn towards what my heart truly wants. I no longer denied it or trampled on it like it was a hideous sight. I embraced who I am and loved the things that caught my desire. I became braver, I suppose.

I was wearing such a scintillating grin on my face, like it was some zephyr of a daydream. My nude cardigan was hugging the curves of my body. I chose to wear a white top and shorts—nothing more, nothing less. I tied my hair in a messy bun and put some tint on my lips. For the first time ever, I picked up some nice garments and veiled myself in my wildest dream. I dressed up. I dressed up. I dressed up. I dressed up, huh?

Oh...

Oh.... 

Love.... 

I spent last night making our bracelets. I placed a flower in the center of it and smiled as if I were on the clouds after I finished it. I grinned heavily, picked it up, placed it inside my bag, and went outside of the room.

Iba na talaga 'to. Ibang-iba na nga talaga 'to. Hibang na hibang na ba ako? Naudlot ang aking imahinasyon nang tumunog ang aking cellphone. 

Alexandrus: 

Ali, malapit na kami sa bahay niyo. 

Natampal ko ang aking noo habang binabasa ang kanyang mensahe. Baliw na nga siguro ako. Ano ba 'tong ginagawa ko? Ngumingiti kahit wala naman siyang ginagawang dapat ikatuwa. Pinagmasdan ko ang aking repleksyon sa salamin. Nakakabighani rin pala ang aking karikitan. Umiling ako at tinuldukan na ang aking delusyon.